Forum: Ruby on Rails Dynamic form tags

Gerard (Guest)
Hi all,

I'm happily using "HowToReuseEditViewsForNewViews" found at:

http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/HowToReuse...

There's this comment there saying you only need the tag "<%= auto_form
%>"
when using the code below. Can somebody tell me if that will work when
extending it with model_name (some how)?

I have several new_* methods (e.g. new_contact, new_company,
new_project,
etc), and I'm not going to bother with this challenge when you big guys
out
there tell me it's a no go to develop this.

def auto_form
  action = case controller.action_name
    when "new" then "create"
    when "edit" then "update"
    else controller.action_name
  end
  start_form_tag :controller => controller.controller_name, :action =>
action
end

Regards,

Gerard -wanna be guru- P.

--
"Who cares if it doesn't do anything?  It was made with our new
Triple-Iso-Bifurcated-Krypton-Gate-MOS process ..."

My $Grtz =~ Gerard;
~
:wq!
Kevin O. (Guest)
on 2006-01-02 18:26
The default scaffold generator uses a partial template called _form that
holds all the form definition stuff that you see in the edit/create
actions.  It then generates a 'new' and 'create' template that wraps a
form around that and links the correct actions to the submit.

It's simple, it's easy, and it's pretty DRY.

If necessary you can modify the _form partial to change the layout
depending on the calling action (use controller.action_name).
Gerard (Guest)
Kevin,

I'm under the impression that you misunderstood the point somewhat. I am
aware
of the scaffold function, thanx for that. What I'm looking for is, as
the
article link shows you can have one template for multiple actions. This
works
for new/create and edit/update. The only difference is that a records
exists
in the latter case. So only one form is needed, used by 4 methods.
Because I'm having multiple new methods. I'm trying to figure out if it
is
possible to have one form for the following methods.

new_company
new_contact
new_project

edit_company
edit_ ... etc

update_ ...

and

create_ ....

Because the comment in the article shows that in the template you then
only
need "<%= auto_form %>" as a form start tag.

Regards,

Gerard.

On Monday 02 January 2006 17:26, Kevin O. tried to type something
like: