Forum: Ruby on Rails [ANN] Locomotive 1.0.0 for Mac OS 10.3+

Ryan R. (Guest)
Hi All,

I'm very happy to announce the release of Locomotive 1.0.0.
Locomotive is a one-click development solution for Rails on Mac OS X.
See more details at http://locomotive.sourceforge.net

Get it at:

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/locomotive/Loco...

What's New?
===========

* Server bundle updated to lighttpd 1.4.8
* Server bundle updated to properly kill zombie fastcgi processes
* Default Rails min bundle updated to 1.0.0
* Terminal (bash/(t)csh) choice in Preferences
* Additional terminal path option in Preferences
* Option to run rails application at Locomotive launch
* Monitors actual status of applications, so will show proper status
if an application has crashed
* Will run additional start and stop scripts if present (see below)
* Snazzy new interface
* Better Terminal opening behavior and error reporting
* Cleaner and better organized code
* Changed DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH to DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH
* The beginnings of Localization (not terribly obvious yet though...)

Start/Stop scripts
=============

If you have start or stop scripts present as follows:

myrailsapp/
 config/
  locomotive/
    start
    stop

Locomotive will run those scripts at the appropriate times. You could
have just one, both or neither.

Gotchas
=======

* Older server bundles may not work properly. (Older rails bundles
should be fine).

With Code Contributions from:
======================

* Tobias Lidskog
* DeLynn B.
* Thomas Steinhausen
* Sammi Williams

Cheers!

-ryan

--
Ryan R.
http://www.rockefeller.edu -- Bacterial Pathogenesis and Immunology
Ryan R. wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm very happy to announce the release of Locomotive 1.0.0.
> Locomotive is a one-click development solution for Rails on Mac OS X.
> See more details at http://locomotive.sourceforge.net
>
> Get it at:
>
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/locomotive/Loco...

This is great, but I don't think the disk image was properly compressed.
The size of the downloaded .dmg file is 70MB(!), but after mounting the
image, the contents are only 41MB in size. I'll bet the size of the
download could at least be cut in half by selecting a compressed
disk-image format.

--Jens
Ryan R. (Guest)
On 1/2/06, Jens A. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> This is great, but I don't think the disk image was properly compressed.
> The size of the downloaded .dmg file is 70MB(!), but after mounting the
> image, the contents are only 41MB in size. I'll bet the size of the
> download could at least be cut in half by selecting a compressed
> disk-image format.

Actually, it's more stupid than that....  The Trash in the dmg had
about 60Mb of junk in it!  The updated dmg is now only 14.4Mb.

-r

(Thanks to Justin F. for finding the problem).