Forum: Ruby Is the Ruby executable written in C?

Steve L. (Guest)
Hi all,

Is the Ruby executable written in C?

Thanks

SteveT

Steve L.
http://www.troubleshooters.com
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
James G. (Guest)
On Dec 30, 2005, at 9:39 AM, Steve L. wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is the Ruby executable written in C?

In a word:  Yes.

James Edward G. II
Rich M. (Guest)
At 12:50 AM +0900 12/31/05, James Edward G. II wrote:
> On Dec 30, 2005, at 9:39 AM, Steve L. wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is the Ruby executable written in C?
>
> In a word:  Yes.

modulo JRuby
Jeffrey S. (Guest)
Steve L. wrote:

> Is the Ruby executable written in C?

It seems to be written in a version of C that I found a little difficult
to read.  It uses old K&R style function declarations, and uses macros
in places I'm not used to seeing them.  Honestly, I'd love to spend some
time hacking the VM, but it looks prohibitively difficult.  Maybe
someone will enlighten me. :)
Timothy H. (Guest)
Steve L. wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is the Ruby executable written in C?

yes.
Christian N. (Guest)
Jeffrey S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> writes:

> Steve L. wrote:
>
>> Is the Ruby executable written in C?
>
> It seems to be written in a version of C that I found a little
> difficult to read.  It uses old K&R style function declarations, and
> uses macros in places I'm not used to seeing them.  Honestly, I'd love
> to spend some time hacking the VM, but it looks prohibitively
> difficult.  Maybe someone will enlighten me. :)

The Perl source is worse.

*scnr*,
Chad P. (Guest)
On Sat, Dec 31, 2005 at 10:34:19PM +0900, Christian N. wrote:
> > difficult.  Maybe someone will enlighten me. :)
>
> The Perl source is worse.

According to Nat Torkington, the Perl source is "an interconnected mass
of livers and pancreas and lungs and little sharp pointy things and the
occasional exploding kidney."

--
Chad P. [ CCD CopyWrite | http://ccd.apotheon.org ]

"A script is what you give the actors.  A program
is what you give the audience." - Larry Wall
James B. (Guest)
Jeffrey S. wrote:
> Steve L. wrote:
>
>> Is the Ruby executable written in C?
>

> It seems to be written in a version of C that I found a little difficult
> to read.  It uses old K&R style function declarations, and uses macros
> in places I'm not used to seeing them.  Honestly, I'd love to spend some
> time hacking the VM, but it looks prohibitively difficult.  Maybe
> someone will enlighten me. :)

Might be an acquired taste.  I've not done any regular C coding in many
years, (which may have helped here) but when crawling through the Ruby
source some years back, in preparation for a book, I found it fairly
easy to get used to the naming and coding conventions and figure things
out.  It was a great help when trying to determine if some class or
method had any potentially unexpected behavior that was not documented,
or not documented correctly.

(I realize it may seem pretty obvious to say that the source code is a
good place to look for this information, the point being that it is
quite readable.)

James