Forum: Ruby very simple question

Tom C. (Guest)
Bewilderer, tired beginner, here.

Executing this, in Arachno Ruby IDE -

print 'process ' + filenm + ' (1) or all files of type ' + filetyp + ':
'
pf = gets

I get -
1. nothing for my print statement - control just passes right past it.
2. a "Exception: Bad file descriptor" out for "pf = gets"

I don't understand why either is happening. Can someone clear this up
for
me?

-- Tom C.
Joe Van D. (Guest)
On 12/30/05, Tom C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> I don't understand why either is happening. Can someone clear this up for
> me?

I don't understand what you're trying to do.
Tom C. (Guest)
This is just a snippet from a larger program. Here, I'm trying to print
STOUT a prompt, then get a response, so I can act on it.

t.

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 01:30:42 -0800, Joe Van D.
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Tom C. (Guest)
I just ran this (example from a book) --

print "Enter your name: "
name = gets

And had exactly the same problem. However, running it outside of
ArachnoRuby, simply as a Ruby file (I'm on WinXP), it runs fine. So, I
have a problem with how my IDE is functioning - I'm new to that as well.
I'll look at that...

wrote:

>> 1. nothing for my print statement - control just passes right past it.
>> 2. a "Exception: Bad file descriptor" out for "pf = gets"
>>
>> I don't understand why either is happening. Can someone clear this up
>> for
>> me?
>
> I don't understand what you're trying to do.

Tom C., MS MA, LMHC
Private practice Psychotherapist
Bellingham, Washington, U.S.A: (360) 920-1226
<< TC.BestMindHealth.com / BestMindHealth.com >>
<< removed_email_address@domain.invalid >>
I don't run Win XP, but my first thought is verify the path to your
ruby interpreter in your IDE.
   ____ _   _  ____ ____
  / ___) | | |/ _  |  _ \
| |   | |_| ( ( | | | | |
|_|    \__  |\_||_|_| |_|
       (____/
Robert K. (Guest)
Tom C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> I just ran this (example from a book) --
>
> print "Enter your name: "
> name = gets
>
> And had exactly the same problem. However, running it outside of
> ArachnoRuby, simply as a Ruby file (I'm on WinXP), it runs fine. So, I
> have a problem with how my IDE is functioning - I'm new to that as
> well. I'll look at that...

This is probably an issue of buffered IO and / or changed outputs.  I'd
try

$stdout.sync = true
$stdout.print "Enter your name: "
name = $stdin.gets