Forum: Ruby create file with LF (not CRLF) in windows

Ben A. (Guest)
I have a bunch of files that I want to convert from CRLF to just LF.
How might I do this?  I'm testing with the following example file
(steel.rb):

f = File.new("steel", "w")
f.syswrite("steel\ncity");
f.close

I then run this from cygwin and get the following output

Ben A.@andersonbd1 /cygdrive/c/ruby
$ ruby steel.rb

Ben A.@andersonbd1 /cygdrive/c/ruby
$ cat -v steel
steel^M
city

How might I get rid of the CR and just have ruby use an LF?
Thanks,
Ben
Bill K. (Guest)
From: "Ben A." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>

> I have a bunch of files that I want to convert from CRLF to just LF.
> How might I do this?  I'm testing with the following example file
> (steel.rb):
>
> f = File.new("steel", "w")
> f.syswrite("steel\ncity");
> f.close

Try in "binary" mode.

f = File.new("steel", "wb")

BTW, if you use blocks, you can omit the f.close:

File.new("steel", "wb") do |f|
  f.print("steel\ncity")
end

(See also IO#binmode )

Regards,

Bill
Ben A. (Guest)
yes - there it is.  Thanks Bill.
Jason S. (Guest)
On 12/29/05, Ben A. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> yes - there it is.  Thanks Bill.

Perhaps it makes a difference which binary you use, windows vs.
cygwin.  I am usign the cygwin Ruby and it did not exhibit the
behavior you mentioned.

Regards,
Jason
John W. Kennedy (Guest)
Ben A. wrote:

> Ben A.@andersonbd1 /cygdrive/c/ruby
> $ ruby steel.rb
>
> Ben A.@andersonbd1 /cygdrive/c/ruby
> $ cat -v steel
> steel^M
> city
>
> How might I get rid of the CR and just have ruby use an LF?

Just as in many other languages, use "wb" instead of "w".
Malte M. (Guest)
Bill K.:
> File.new("steel", "wb") do |f|
>   f.print("steel\ncity")
> end

Warning: File::new() does not take block; use File::open() instead.

Malte
Bill K. (Guest)
From: "Malte M." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
> Bill K.:
>> File.new("steel", "wb") do |f|
>>   f.print("steel\ncity")
>> end
>
> Warning: File::new() does not take block; use File::open() instead.

Ooops!  Thanks for catching that!    O:-)

Bill