Forum: Ruby No such file to load -- rubygems

unknown (Guest)
i've installed ruby 1.8.4 (on MacOS X 10.4.3) in /usr/local

when i want to update the system :
sudo gem update --system
i get the following error message :
ruby: No such file to load -- rubygems (LoadError)

i've set some env vars :
% echo $RUBYOPT
-rrubygems
% echo $GEM_HOME
/usr/local
then, i'm stuck...
Timothy H. (Guest)
Une bévue wrote:
> % echo $GEM_HOME
> /usr/local
> then, i'm stuck...

Looks like you need to install Rubygems.
unknown (Guest)
Une bévue <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> when i want to update the system :
> sudo gem update --system
> i get the following error message :
> ruby: No such file to load -- rubygems (LoadError)

this is because of my PATH :
%which ruby
/usr/bin/ruby  //the default install on MacOS X
changing the PATH order, makes it ok ))
Jim W. (Guest)
on 2005-12-29 16:03
unknown wrote:
> i've installed ruby 1.8.4 (on MacOS X 10.4.3) in /usr/local
>
> when i want to update the system :
> sudo gem update --system
> i get the following error message :
> ruby: No such file to load -- rubygems (LoadError)
>
> i've set some env vars :
> % echo $RUBYOPT
> -rrubygems
> % echo $GEM_HOME
> /usr/local
> then, i'm stuck...

Obvious question ... have you installed rubygems into the new Ruby
instance?  It looks like you might have a gems install hanging around
from an earlier version of Ruby (i.e. it is finding the "gem" command),
but its not finding the rubygems.rb library.

--
-- Jim W.
unknown (Guest)

> Looks like you need to install Rubygems.
right and not right ))
not right because i've allready installed rubygems.
however only for ruby in /usr/local
on macos x their is a "builtin" ruby 1.8.2
and the PATH gaves the default ruby, i've changed the order for the path
and that's ok, /usr/local/bin/ruby is choosen...
unknown (Guest)
Jim W. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> Obvious question ... have you installed rubygems into the new Ruby
> instance?  It looks like you might have a gems install hanging around
> from an earlier version of Ruby (i.e. it is finding the "gem" command),
> but its not finding the rubygems.rb library.

thanks i found it !
the default ruby wasn't the latest one ))
where i did install rubygems...
i had only to change the PATH from :
export PATH=PATH:/usr/local/bin:/Users/yvon/bin
to :
export PATH=/usr/local/bin:/Users/yvon/bin:PATH
now i get /usr/local/bin/ruby (the latest 1.8.4)...