Forum: Ruby on Rails [ANN] Ruby-GetText-Package-1.1.0

Masao M. (Guest)

Ruby-GetText-Package-1.1.0 is now available.

This release enhances many features for Ruby on Rails.
I hope this release make your Application support L10n.

And thanks for many helps!

Highlights
----------
 * Added some functions which managed po/mo files easily.
   * GetText.update_pofiles creates/updates pot/po files.
     The idea is from Sascha E..

 * String% is extended to accept named argument.
   "%{file} is selected." % {:file => "foo.rb"}
   Proposed by Sascha E. and Kazuhiro NISHIYAMA.

 * Enhanced Ruby on Rails support.
    * ActiveRecord support. Inspired from Simon S.(rgtrans).
     * the error messages are localized.
       Also, you can add your own messages with _("").

     * You can use gettext methods in the models unless
       preparing anything.

     * rgettext extracts the table names/field names
       of the subclass of ActiveRecord::Base as the msgid.
       You don't need to add anything to your model classes
       by yourself.

       Even for the English developers who don't need
       to localize their application, this function is
       useful because the developer can rename
       the table/field names using "en" locale.

     * More simple to set up ApplicationController.
       Now, you need to call just init_gettext only.

         init_gettext "myapp"  #Easy!
       end

       This "myapp" domain affects all of the controllers/views/models.

     * Sample "blog" application with rails.
       Improved the sample application on RoR. See: samples/rails/*.

 * New/Updated translations:
    Czech              - Karel M. (NEW)
    Dutch              - Menno Jonkers (NEW)
    French             - Laurent S.
    German             - Sasa E.
    Japanese           - Masao M.
    Korean             - Gyoung-Yoon N.
    Portuguese(Brazil) - Joao P.
    Spanish            - David E.

 * bugfixes.

Website
-------
http://rubyforge.org/projects/gettext/

* Download

* Ruby-GetText-Package HOWTOs
  http://ponx.s5.xrea.com/hiki/ruby-gettext-howto.html
* Ruby-GetText-Package HOWTO for CGI/ERB
  http://ponx.s5.xrea.com/hiki/ruby-gettext-howto-cgi.html
* Ruby-GetText-Package HOWTO for Ruby on Rails (NEW)
  http://ponx.s5.xrea.com/hiki/ruby-gettext-howto-rails.html
* Ruby-GetText-Package API Reference
  http://ponx.s5.xrea.com/hiki/ruby-gettext-api.html

What's this?
-------------
Ruby GetText Package is a Native Language Support Library and
Tools which modeled after GNU gettext package.

  * Simple APIs(similar GNU gettext)
  * rgettext command for creating po-files from files below:
       o ruby scripts
       o glade-2 XML file(.glade)
       o ERB file(.rhtml)
       o ActiveRecord (.rb)
  * rmsgfmt command for creating a mo-file from a po-file.
  * The po-file is compatible to GNU gettext.
    You can maintain these files to use GNU getext tools.
  * The mo-file is compatible to GNU gettext(msgfmt).
  * multi-textdomain supported.
    You can select two kind of textdomain's scope:
       o A file base (default: recommanded)
       o A Class/Module base (GetText::Container, GetText::ErbContainer,
GetText::Rails)
  * CGI support (gettext/cgi)
  * ERB support (gettext/erb)
  * Ruby on Rails support (gettext/rails)

Status of translations
----------------------
  cs    - 1.1.0
  fr    - 1.1.0
  de    - 1.1.0
  es    - 1.1.0
  it    - 1.0.0 (still old)
  ja    - 1.1.0
  ko    - 1.1.0
  nl    - 1.1.0
  pt_BR - 1.1.0
  sv    - 0.8.0 (still old)

Can you help us?/ Can we help you?

http://rubyforge.org/mail/?group_id=855

Join us if you are interested in:
* Improve Ruby-GetText-Package.
* Translators.
* Application/library owners who think to make your apps/libs L10n.
  If you send us your po-files, we'll translate it!
  # At least, a Japanese translator is available ;).

Regards,
Masao M. (Guest)

I mailed a patch for the document[1] to Sascha E.
(who is the author of the document).
It will be updated soon.

[1] "Using Gettext To Translate Your Rails Application"
     http://manuals.rubyonrails.com/read/chapter/105

And also, I wrote a simple document for Ruby-GetText/RoR.
See http://ponx.s5.xrea.com/hiki/ruby-gettext-howto-rails.html

Regards,
Masao.

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 17:06:21 +0900
Sascha E. (Guest)
Hi Masao,

> Ruby-GetText-Package-1.1.0 is now available.

Thank you for this nice release. I hope to get around updating the Rails
guide soon.

Sa?a Ebach
Nicolas C. (Guest)
Le Jeudi 29 Décembre 2005 09:06, Masao M. a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Ruby-GetText-Package-1.1.0 is now available.
>
> This release enhances many features for Ruby on Rails.
> I hope this release make your Application support L10n.
"update_po" method is a real good idea, it was the only thing I was
missing.

Thanks a lot for this nice lib !
sekhar (Guest)
Great new masao. Thank you for making a difference to a large group of
rails
and ruby developers.

Sekhar
Sascha E. (Guest)
Here we go.

I have just put up the new draft version. Let's hope that I get around
editing it soon.

http://manuals.rubyonrails.com/read/chapter/105