Forum: Ruby Ruby-GetText-Package-1.1.0

Masao M. (Guest)

Ruby-GetText-Package-1.1.0 is now available.

Thanks for many helps!

Highlights
----------
 * Added some functions which managed po/mo files easily.
   * GetText.update_pofiles creates/updates pot/po files.
     The idea is from Sascha E..

 * String% is extended to accept named argument.
   "%{file} is selected." % {:file => "foo.rb"}
   Proposed by Sascha E. and Kazuhiro NISHIYAMA.

 * Enhanced Ruby on Rails support.

 * New/Updated translations:
    Czech              - Karel M. (NEW)
    Dutch              - Menno Jonkers (NEW)
    French             - Laurent S.
    German             - Sasa E.
    Japanese           - Masao M.
    Korean             - Gyoung-Yoon N.
    Portuguese(Brazil) - Joao P.
    Spanish            - David E.

 * bugfixes.

Website
-------
http://rubyforge.org/projects/gettext/

* Download

* Ruby-GetText-Package HOWTOs
  http://ponx.s5.xrea.com/hiki/ruby-gettext-howto.html
* Ruby-GetText-Package HOWTO for CGI/ERB
  http://ponx.s5.xrea.com/hiki/ruby-gettext-howto-cgi.html
* Ruby-GetText-Package HOWTO for Ruby on Rails (NEW)
  http://ponx.s5.xrea.com/hiki/ruby-gettext-howto-rails.html
* Ruby-GetText-Package API Reference
  http://ponx.s5.xrea.com/hiki/ruby-gettext-api.html

What's this?
-------------
Ruby GetText Package is a Native Language Support Library and
Tools which modeled after GNU gettext package.

  * Simple APIs(similar GNU gettext)
  * rgettext command for creating po-files from files below:
       o ruby scripts
       o glade-2 XML file(.glade)
       o ERB file(.rhtml)
       o ActiveRecord (.rb)
  * rmsgfmt command for creating a mo-file from a po-file.
  * The po-file is compatible to GNU gettext.
    You can maintain these files to use GNU getext tools.
  * The mo-file is compatible to GNU gettext(msgfmt).
  * multi-textdomain supported.
    You can select two kind of textdomain's scope:
       o A file base (default: recommanded)
       o A Class/Module base (GetText::Container, GetText::ErbContainer,
GetText::Rails)
  * CGI support (gettext/cgi)
  * ERB support (gettext/erb)
  * Ruby on Rails support (gettext/rails)

Status of translations
----------------------
  cs    - 1.1.0
  fr    - 1.1.0
  de    - 1.1.0
  es    - 1.1.0
  it    - 1.0.0 (still old)
  ja    - 1.1.0
  ko    - 1.1.0
  nl    - 1.1.0
  pt_BR - 1.1.0
  sv    - 0.8.0 (still old)

Can you help us?/ Can we help you?

http://rubyforge.org/mail/?group_id=855

Join us if you are interested in:
* Improve Ruby-GetText-Package.
* Translators.
* Application/library owners who think to make your apps/libs L10n.
  If you send us your po-files, we'll translate it!
  # At least, a Japanese translator is available ;).

Regards,
Tom C. (Guest)
Masao,

Please - realize that only part of the world understands obscure
statements like "Ruby-GetText-Package is a Native Language Support
Library
and Tools which is modeled after GNU gettext package, but is not a
wrapper
of GNU GetText."

As a Rubie-newbie, and a user of Windows, I have almost NO idea what
this
means. What in blazes is "GNU GetText"? I scanned several pages at the
Get
Text web site, and nowhere could I find a simple statement telling me
what
this ruby thing DOES (and why I shouldn't just ignore it, which is what
decided to so).

It just seems to me that if you want people like me to dig into this
package, it might be made less baffling. Time is precious.

Tom C.

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 00:01:16 -0800, Masao M.
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

>      The idea is from Sascha E..
>     French             - Laurent S.
> -------
>   http://ponx.s5.xrea.com/hiki/ruby-gettext-howto-rails.html
>        o ruby scripts
>        o A Class/Module base (GetText::Container, GetText::ErbContainer,
>   de    - 1.1.0
> ----------------------------------
>
> Regards,

Tom C., MS MA, LMHC
Private practice Psychotherapist
Bellingham, Washington, U.S.A: (360) 920-1226
<< TC.BestMindHealth.com / BestMindHealth.com >>
<< removed_email_address@domain.invalid >>
I personally tend to follow the philosophy that if I don't understand
what something is, I probably don't need or want it.

Also as far as I know, GetText is just a system for getting strings
for user interfaces in multiple languages.

Ryan
Detlef R. (Guest)
Am Freitag, den 30.12.2005, 05:33 +0900 schrieb Tom C.:
> this ruby thing DOES (and why I shouldn't just ignore it, which is what I
> decided to so).

GetText is a library that supports you with translation of programs into
other languages.

In most programs the messages are per default english. But for the
bigest part of the world, english is not the native language (i know,
many people often forget this). So gettext will lookup the programs
messages in a list of translations for this program and retuns (if it
finds something) the translation to the users language.

For a program author it is a very easy way to make her/his program mulit
linugual.

Cheers
detlef
Masao M. (Guest)
Hi Tom,

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 05:33:16 +0900
"Tom C." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> this ruby thing DOES (and why I shouldn't just ignore it, which is what I
> decided to so).
>
> It just seems to me that if you want people like me to dig into this
> package, it might be made less baffling. Time is precious.

OK. I'll improve the explanation since next release announce.

Thanks.

Masao.