Forum: Ruby Problem with Ruby 1.8.4, C extensions, Solaris

Daniel B. (Guest)
Hi all,

Solaris 10
Ruby 1.8.4
gcc 3.4.4
Sun's make and ld

Whenever I run 'make install' for any C extension built using mkmf, I
get this
error:

sh: ./install-sh: not found

The 'INSTALL' target in the Makefile is simply: INSTALL = ./install-sh
-c

However, there is no such program on my system.  I suspect I can get
around
this by building Ruby and all C extensions with GNU make, but that
probably
won't be an option on production servers.

This actually started in Ruby 1.8.3.  Things work fine with 1.8.2 and
earlier.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dan
ts (Guest)

D> The 'INSTALL' target in the Makefile is simply: INSTALL =
./install-sh -c

 What give ?

   which install
   which ginstall

 See in configure for ruby

# Find a good install program.  We prefer a C program (faster),
# so one script is as good as another.  But avoid the broken or
# incompatible versions:

Guy Decoux
Daniel B. (Guest)
ts wrote:
>  See in configure for ruby
>
> # Find a good install program.  We prefer a C program (faster),
> # so one script is as good as another.  But avoid the broken or
> # incompatible versions:
>

> Guy Decoux
>

 >which install
/usr/sbin/install

 >which ginstall
no ginstall

Regards,

Dan
ts (Guest)

>> which install
D> /usr/sbin/install

 and

  ruby -rrbconfig -e 'p Config::CONFIG["INSTALL"]'

 and in the directory ruby-1.8.4

  ruby -ne 'print if /result.*install/' config.log

 this is when configure, for ruby, run that it search an install
 program

Guy Decoux
Daniel B. (Guest)
ts wrote:

>  and in the directory ruby-1.8.4
>
>   ruby -ne 'print if /result.*install/' config.log
>
>  this is when configure, for ruby, run that it search an install
>  program

 >/opt/bin/ruby -rrbconfig -e 'p Config::CONFIG["INSTALL"]'
"./install-sh -c"

 >/opt/bin/ruby -ne 'print if /result.*install/' config.log
configure:3834: result: ./install-sh -c

Regards,

Dan
Daniel B. (Guest)
ts wrote:

>   ruby -ne 'print if /result.*install/' config.log
>
>  this is when configure, for ruby, run that it search an install
>  program
>

> Guy Decoux

Any more ideas?  Looks like a bug to me in the configure script
somewhere in the code that starts at line 3779.

Also, the comment about using "/usr/etc/install" for SunOS is bogus,
since there is no such file on any Solaris machine I've ever touched. I
see an install program in /etc and /usr/sbin and that's it.

Regards,

Dan