Forum: Ruby Blunyx game library for Ruby

Alexander J. (Guest)
I'm very new at Ruby, and I like it very much. :)
The only thing I would need to be completly happy with Ruby would be a
game library. I already have looked into RUDL and Ruby/Gosu and I think
Ruby/Gosu looks very good, but not exactly like I want it.
So I have started writing my own game library, Blunyx. I think it's a
good training for me.

Some of my main goals:
 - Very easy(a non programmer should be able to read a game's source)
   - Clean design
   - Good documentation
 - Crossplatform

Blunyx will be split into three parts:
 - Core (written in c++)
 - Mid Level (The Ruby part of the engine)
 - High Level (The API which the user will see)

If it's not necessery to have a Mid and a High Level api i'll mix them
together into one ;)

I'm open for sugestions.

the projects site: http://blunyx.sourceforge.net

Alex
Dirk M. (Guest)
great!
i've always wanted something to create games in ruby, and i agree that
RUDL
and Ruby/Gosu just aren't enough.
but as i'm not experienced enough to write anything this advanced, i'm
glad
some one else will :-)
i look forward to it!
greetings, Dirk.

2005/12/27, Alexander J. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
Alexander J. (Guest)
On Tue, 2005-12-27 at 22:06 +0900, Dirk M. wrote:
> great!
> i've always wanted something to create games in ruby, and i agree that RUDL
> and Ruby/Gosu just aren't enough.
> but as i'm not experienced enough to write anything this advanced, i'm glad
> some one else will :-)
> i look forward to it!
> greetings, Dirk.

Thanks :)
As I'm not very experienced with ruby many things will look not so
rubyesque as it should in v0.1(targeted for my birthday, 19.01.2005).

The first version of the core(the lowlevel c++ part) is nearly
finished(graphics only right now, other things for later).
Iván V. (Guest)
wow, I'm really looking forward to it. Good luck with your project
Alexander n_n
Alexander J. (Guest)
A question:
Where should the coordinate (0,0) be? Like in many other 2d engines at
the top-left corner, or like everything else in the bottom-left corner?
Maybe switchable(should be very easy to implement)?

btw, I already can use the BlunyxCore in irb for drawing colored
rectangles in a window :)
Dirk M. (Guest)
2005/12/27, Alexander J. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:

> A question:
> Where should the coordinate (0,0) be? Like in many other 2d engines at
> the top-left corner, or like everything else in the bottom-left corner?
> Maybe switchable(should be very easy to implement)?
>
> btw, I already can use the BlunyxCore in irb for drawing colored
> rectangles in a window :)

i'd say top-left, or center (which might be useful in
sin/cos-drawings..)
greetings, Dirk.
Alexander J. (Guest)
On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 01:23 +0900, Dirk M. wrote:

> i'd say top-left, or center (which might be useful in sin/cos-drawings..)
> greetings, Dirk.
I'll let the user decide, standard is top-left now. Center as (0,0) is a
cool idea, will be implementet in v0.1 or v0.2 :)
Julian R. (Guest)
on 2005-12-29 03:22
Hey,

> i've always wanted something to create games in ruby, and i agree that
> RUDL
> and Ruby/Gosu just aren't enough.

sorry to go OT to collect feedback here, but we get so little direct
criticism - is there something specific you're missing about Ruby/Gosu?
I'll admit that the focus from my side has been on C++/Gosu so far, but
I'm still trying to make Ruby/Gosu as pleasant and complete as possible,
and I'm still collecting features for the upcoming 0.6 release.

Julian
Alexander J. (Guest)
On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 10:22 +0900, Julian R. wrote:
> and I'm still collecting features for the upcoming 0.6 release.
np about going OT

some things that come to my mind which could be added to gosu:

more documentation(for me it is enough, but I really think that an well
documented, easy game library could attract non-programmers, which is a
good thing IMO).

ressource managment(for easy art packaging)

some higher level things like a tile engine

prepackaged debian binaries ;)

please don't be offended by my attempt to create another game library
for ruby

Alex
James G. (Guest)
On Dec 28, 2005, at 7:22 PM, Julian R. wrote:

> sorry to go OT to collect feedback here, but we get so little direct
> criticism - is there something specific you're missing about Ruby/
> Gosu?

For me, it's native Mac OS X support.

James Edward G. II
Julian R. (Guest)
on 2005-12-30 03:06
Hi again,

> For me, it's native Mac OS X support.

...which already works on the iBook I'm using right now, all that has to
be done is to write all the docs. Sigh.

Julian
James G. (Guest)
On Dec 29, 2005, at 7:07 PM, Julian R. wrote:

> Hi again,
>
>> For me, it's native Mac OS X support.
>
> ...which already works on the iBook I'm using right now, all that
> has to
> be done is to write all the docs. Sigh.

Ah great, I didn't know that.  Sounds like the docs are definitely
needed.  ;)

James Edward G. II