Forum: Ruby - E05 - Ruby 1.8.4 ri class documentation

Ilias L. (Guest)
I've seen that ruby 1.8.4 was released.

I've followed the instructions:

http://www.garbagecollect.jp/ruby/mswin32/en/docum...

but failed to get it running.

"
C:\>ri class
C:\ruby\bin\ruby: no such file to load -- ubygems (LoadError)
"

can someone please post the output of "ri class", thus I can verify if
something has changed?

Thank you in advance.

-

[as a sidenote]

Any suggestion for recreating the exact class-definition?

http://lazaridis.com/case/lang/ruby/base.html#sayY...

Any suggestion for recreating the exact class-definitions, including
source-code (recreating the executable ruby-code)?

http://lazaridis.com/case/lang/ruby/base.html#sayY...

..
Antonio C. (Guest)
Ilias L. wrote:
> can someone please post the output of "ri class", thus I can verify if
> something has changed?

----------------------------------------------------------- Object#class
      obj.class    => class
      Returns the class of _obj_, now preferred over +Object#type+, as
an
      object's type in Ruby is only loosely tied to that object's class.
      This method must always be called with an explicit receiver, as
      +class+ is also a reserved word in Ruby.

         1.class      #=> Fixnum
         self.class   #=> Object

Cheers,
Antonio
Ilias L. (Guest)
Antonio C. wrote:
> Ilias L. wrote:
>
>> can someone please post the output of "ri class", thus I can verify if
>> something has changed?
>

> ----------------------------------------------------------- Object#class
>      obj.class    => class
[...]

Thanks - and my apologies!

This seems to be case sensitive.

ri Class (with upper case "C") should bring up another documentation.

may one can post this?

..
Gunnar (Guest)
Ilias L. wrote:
>>      obj.class    => class
> may one can post this?
>
> .

Hello
This is my output to ri Class

-------------------------------------------------- Class: Class < Module
      Classes in Ruby are first-class objects---each is an instance of
      class +Class+.

      When a new class is created (typically using +class Name ...
end+),
      an object of type +Class+ is created and assigned to a global
      constant (+Name+ in this case). When +Name.new+ is called to
create
      a new object, the +new+ method in +Class+ is run by default. This
      can be demonstrated by overriding +new+ in +Class+:

         class Class
            alias oldNew  new
            def new(*args)
              print "Creating a new ", self.name, "\n"
              oldNew(*args)

          class Name
          end

          n = Name.new

      _produces:_

         Creating a new Name

      Classes, modules, and objects are interrelated. In the diagram
that
      follows, the vertical arrows represent inheritance, and the
      parentheses meta-classes. All metaclasses are instances of the
      class `Class'.

                                +------------------+
                                |                  |
                  Object---->(Object)              |
                   ^  ^        ^  ^                |
                   |  |        |  |                |
                   |  |  +-----+  +---------+      |
                   |  |  |                  |      |
                   |  +-----------+         |      |
                   |     |        |         |      |
            +------+     |     Module--->(Module)  |
            |            |        ^         ^      |
       OtherClass-->(OtherClass)  |         |      |
                                  |         |      |
                                Class---->(Class)  |
                                  ^                |
                                  |                |
                                  +----------------+

Class methods:
--------------
      new

Instance methods:
Gunnar wrote:
> Ilias L. wrote:
[...]

> Hello
> This is my output to ri Class
[...]

Thanks for posting the output.

>      _produces:_
>
>         Creating a new Name
>
>      Classes, modules, and objects are interrelated. In the diagram that
>      follows, the vertical arrows represent inheritance, and the
[...]

"vertical" has been added before "arrows".

Thanks for the correction.

-

quote from an previous thread

"
so, the minimum correction would be:

additional text:
"the vertical arrows represent XXXX"
"

[EVALUATION] - E03c - The Ruby Object Model (Revised Documentation)
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/msg/...

-

TAG.ruby.evolution.effort

..
Dayne (Guest)
Ilias,

On 12/25/05, Ilias L. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> C:\>ri class
> C:\ruby\bin\ruby: no such file to load -- ubygems (LoadError)
> "

The reason you are getting that error is you have 'rubygems' in your
RUBYOPT environment variable but you have not installed rubygems yet.
You probably had everything setup correctly for 1.8.3 (w/ gems
installed with enviroment variable).. you just need to reinstall
rubygems to get rid of that error.  That or clear the RUBYOPT
environment variable.

-dayne
Ilias L. (Guest)
Dayne wrote:
> The reason you are getting that error is you have 'rubygems' in your
> RUBYOPT environment variable but you have not installed rubygems yet.
> You probably had everything setup correctly for 1.8.3 (w/ gems
> installed with enviroment variable).. you just need to reinstall
> rubygems to get rid of that error.  That or clear the RUBYOPT
> environment variable.
>
> -dayne

confirmed.

thanks for the info.