Forum: Ruby on Rails belongs_to loop?

Gerard (Guest)
Hi all,

I'm having two tables: contacts (belongs_to) company details. The
problem is
this. In the company table I have a field "pid" (parent id). Which
relates a
company (being a possible subsidiary) to it's parent e.g. a bigger
enterprise. Does the belongs_to work when related to the same model
(table).

The relation is upwards only for now. I don't want to see all
subsidiaries of
an enterprise (yet). Do I need a seperate table to establisch this link
properly in my data scheme?

Thanx (again)

Gerard

--
"Who cares if it doesn't do anything?  It was made with our new
Triple-Iso-Bifurcated-Krypton-Gate-MOS process ..."

My $Grtz =~ Gerard;
~
:wq!
Anocha Yimsiriwattana (Guest)
Gerard wrote:

> properly in my data scheme?
>
> Thanx (again)
>
> Gerard

Hmm ... it's seem to be a composite pattern for me. Check the key word,
"act_as_tree" in Rails, it's should be the solution for you.

Tom