Forum: Ruby why there's no ruby 1.8.4 for win-one-click-installer?

Arie Kusuma A. (Guest)
http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=167

why there's no ruby 1.8.4 for win-one-click-installer? thx

--
regards
<%= arie %>
Arie Kusuma A. wrote:
> http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=167
>
> why there's no ruby 1.8.4 for win-one-click-installer? thx

The source for Ruby 1.8.4 was released less than 24 hours ago.

An actual human being must now take that source and assemble the
binaries for the one-click.  This takes time and effort.

Curt H. is that actual human being, and he has already said, on this
very list, that it may take a few weeks for the 1.8.4 one-click to
appear.  Please go find that message and read the reasons.

Merry Christmas,

James B.

Curt H. (Guest)
On 12/24/05, James B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Curt H. is that actual human being, and he has already said, on this
> very list, that it may take a few weeks for the 1.8.4 one-click to
> appear.  Please go find that message and read the reasons.

Thanks, James.

The one-click installer includes a number of Ruby extensions (in
addition to Ruby 1.8.4, itself). All of these have to be updated to
the latest versions, compiled, installed, and tested (some of these I
am not familiar with so I need to ave others test them for me).

All this takes time (and I still have a day job, too).

Thanks for your patience,
Curt
John W. Kennedy (Guest)
Curt H. wrote:
>> Curt H. is that actual human being, and he has already said, on this
> All this takes time (and I still have a day job, too).
I think there's some confusion caused by the fact that so much
cross-platform Free software nowadays includes a Windows binary as an
intrinsic part of the release. When Firefox went to 1.5, or
OpenOffice.org went to 2.01, there was a Windows installable waiting for
everyone.

Since the One-Click Installer is /not/ an intrinsic part of the Ruby
release, of course this doesn't happen.
Ilias L. (Guest)
John W. Kennedy wrote:
>>> An actual human being must now take that source and assemble the
>> the latest versions, compiled, installed, and tested (some of these I
> Since the One-Click Installer is /not/ an intrinsic part of the Ruby
> release, of course this doesn't happen.

A rational request from a simple user: "where is the 1.8.4
win-one-click-installer?"

status:

explanations from the community:

* the 1.8.4 release was just befort 24h
* build-test-packaging process is not automated
* the build-manager has dependencies to external testers
* this installer is _not_ an intrinsic part of Ruby

-

Possible Solutions:

a) provide an automation for build-test-packaging
b) reduce complexity of packaging process (simplify distribution)
c) convince 3rd party to provide distribution

ActiveState has introduced Ruby into it's Komodo IDE,

http://activestate.com/ruby.plex

and should be intrested to provide a distribution (ActiveRuby), similar
to those for other languages, e.g. Python:

http://activestate.com/Products/ActivePython/?pysbx=1

[CC to ActiveState]

-

TAG.ruby.evolution.distribution

..
gabriele renzi (Guest)
Arie Kusuma A. ha scritto:
> http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=167
>
> why there's no ruby 1.8.4 for win-one-click-installer? thx

please notice that even if it is not a one-click installer you can get a
win32 version of ruby from here:
http://www.garbagecollect.jp/ruby/mswin32/en/downl...

It does not include many of the goodies that are available with the
one-click-installer, such as fxruby,scite or programming ruby in chm
format, but it works fine (except for readline).

Oh well, thanks to all the people providing ruby builds for us poor
win32 users :)
masayoshi takahashi (Guest)
2005/12/27, gabriele renzi <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
> Arie Kusuma A. ha scritto:
> > why there's no ruby 1.8.4 for win-one-click-installer? thx
>
> please notice that even if it is not a one-click installer you can get a
> win32 version of ruby from here:
> http://www.garbagecollect.jp/ruby/mswin32/en/downl...
>
> It does not include many of the goodies that are available with the
> one-click-installer, such as fxruby,scite or programming ruby in chm
> format, but it works fine (except for readline).

Yet Another Ruby for windows user is ActiveScriptRuby.

http://arton.hp.infoseek.co.jp/index.html

You can get ASR 1.8.4.1 now.

Regards,

Masayoshi 'Maki' Takahashi
Stephen W. (Guest)
On Dec 26, 2005, at 12:06 AM, Curt H. wrote:

> The one-click installer includes a number of Ruby extensions (in
> addition to Ruby 1.8.4, itself).

I wonder if you might be able to trim it back a bit.  Perhaps survey
your userbase and try to determine how much each extension is being
used?

Or consider doing Min and Max versions?

--Steve

[Personally, I just want ruby, rubygems, and docs]
Sung Soo K. (Guest)
It might not be too difficult to include options of including or
excluding
extensions in the installer, even though I love the previous installer.
;)

Sung Soo
James B. (Guest)
Sung Soo K. wrote:
> It might not be too difficult to include options of including or excluding
> extensions in the installer, even though I love the previous installer. ;)

Examples of how to do this are welcome.

James

Wilson B. (Guest)
On 12/29/05, James B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Sung Soo K. wrote:
> > It might not be too difficult to include options of including or excluding
> > extensions in the installer, even though I love the previous installer. ;)
>

> Examples of how to do this are welcome.

Basically the various extensions need to be split out into named
SubSections in the ruby.nsi file, and the 'components' page should be
flagged for display.
If it would help, I can make these changes and submit a patch against
the trunk.

I maintain an NSI-based installer that does a lot of conditional work,
so I'm comfortable with the syntax.

--Wilson.
Curt H. (Guest)
On 12/29/05, Wilson B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> SubSections in the ruby.nsi file, and the 'components' page should be
> flagged for display.
> If it would help, I can make these changes and submit a patch against the trunk.
>
> I maintain an NSI-based installer that does a lot of conditional work,
> so I'm comfortable with the syntax.
>
> --Wilson.

I already do this for many/most of the extensions, but doing so
actually increases the work to prepare a new release, and does not
reduce it. the work required is not in the NSIS installer script, it
is in properly builging, including, and testing the extensions.

And to Stephen: I have been (and will continue) to cut back on
included extensions as RubyGems continues to pick up the slack.

Curt
Stephen W. (Guest)
On Dec 30, 2005, at 12:10 AM, Curt H. wrote:

> And to Stephen: I have been (and will continue) to cut back on
> included extensions as RubyGems continues to pick up the slack.

Thanks Curt, sounds great!

--Steve
Corey L. (Guest)
But, except for the Tk/Fox stuff, is it possible to drop it in to an
existing Windows 1.8.2.x installation and have things work hunkydory?