Forum: Ruby Installing Ruby and Rails on Ubuntu

Mark (Guest)
I've been following the instructions at:

http://claudio.cicali.org/article/74/how-to-instal...

but unfortunately it fails during step 5.

When I attempt to run:

  ruby extconf.rb

I get an error indicating it can't find the mkmf

extconf.rb:1:in `require': no such file to load -- mkmf (LoadError)
        from extconf.rb:1

Any thoughts?
Marcel Molina Jr. (Guest)
On Sat, Dec 24, 2005 at 12:04:20PM +0900, Mark wrote:
> I get an error indicating it can't find the mkmf
>
> extconf.rb:1:in `require': no such file to load -- mkmf (LoadError)
>         from extconf.rb:1
>
> Any thoughts?

You will get the best and most timely Rails support on the Rails list:

Debian splits up Ruby's standard library into some 34 packages which are
not
installed by default. You need the mkmf library. Probably something like
libmkmf-ruby1.8.

You can get pointers on how to install all of Ruby from here:
http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/RailsOnUbu...

marcel
Stefan M. (Guest)
Mark wrote:
> I get an error indicating it can't find the mkmf
>
> extconf.rb:1:in `require': no such file to load -- mkmf (LoadError)
>         from extconf.rb:1
>
> Any thoughts?

You have to install the ruby1.8-dev package.
Mark (Guest)
Thank you!  I asked here, rather than rails, because I hadn't even
really
gotten to the rails step yet.

I had totally forgotten about the Debian ruby issues and also the fact
that
Ubuntu is a Debian derivative.
mitchell (Guest)
Mark wrote:
> I get an error indicating it can't find the mkmf
>
> extconf.rb:1:in `require': no such file to load -- mkmf (LoadError)
>         from extconf.rb:1
>
> Any thoughts?

apt-get install rails
Mark (Guest)
I've gotten a lot farther with the instructions at this URL

   http://fo64.com/articles/2005/10/20/rails-on-breezy

Everything seems to be installed, but apparantly Apache isn't wired up
right
because it is browsing directories and trying to load the URL for the
controller returns a 404.

Note, I've been succesful with Rails on Windows I'm just forcing myself
learn Linux.

- mark