Forum: Ruby on Rails Oddly Slow

John S. (Guest)
on 2005-12-24 03:36
Hello all:

I am trying to learn RoR and so far am enjoying the language very much.
I have been going through some online tutorials but have hit a stumbling
block.  The first app I tried was the cookbook example provided on the
O'Rielley site which worked just fine, but then I moved on to the Four
Days on Rails app which consists of a todo list.  For some strange
reason any request to any controller method takes a long time (I'm
talking 7-12 seconds).  The first app was not like this.  I tried
removing some of the application logic from the controller methods and
thus strip the app down to its bear minimums but the same thing happens.
Could there be a different issue I'm not aware of?

Thanks,

John
John S. (Guest)
on 2005-12-24 03:42
Well I'm stupid.

I forgot that you had to alter the .htaccess file for each new app so I
had not changed the

RewriteRule ^(.*)$ dispatch.cgi [QSA,L]

line to

RewriteRule ^(.*)$ dispatch.fcgi [QSA,L]

So was I running off cgi and not fcgi?

And I forgot to comment out the Apache directives which were already
being set in the httpd.conf file (which may or may not have anything to
do with it).

Now everything runs fast.

Sorry,

John
Wilson B. (Guest)
On 12/23/05, John S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> thus strip the app down to its bear minimums but the same thing happens.
> Could there be a different issue I'm not aware of?

I've had this problem before on Windows when using Webrick (in order
words, script\server).
Restarting Webrick clears it up.  Sadly, I have no idea what causes
it, and it doesn't seem to happen to everyone.

Anyone else?