Forum: Ruby Rails syslogger extremly slow..

unknown (Guest)
I'm using sysloglogger from here...

http://rails-analyzer.rubyforge.org/hacks/classes/...

but it causes my website to run 10x slower. It looks like there's heavy
IO wait. Does anyone know why this may be?

Is it just because of the large amount of stuff it has to write to
disk? I don't have a lot of memory...is that the main problem?
Gene T. (Guest)
> I'm using sysloglogger from here...
>
> http://rails-analyzer.rubyforge.org/hacks/classes/...
>
> but it causes my website to run 10x slower. It looks like there's heavy
> IO wait. Does anyone know why this may be?
>
> Is it just because of the large amount of stuff it has to write to
> disk? I don't have a lot of memory...is that the main problem?

(not trying to be nasty, but i think the canonical answer is you'll get
an answer faster at the rails list

Lou V. (Guest)
a hard disk is roughly 100x slower than IO over a wire because it
has mechanically moving parts. So seeing a 10x slowdown is reasonable.

putting the following line in your rails environment.rb file should
speed
things up since it will minimize logging output to the hard disk:

   config.log_level = :fatal
kenlet (Guest)
What are the other available log levels?