Forum: Ruby Small issue with REXML output

Chris L. (Guest)
I've just started working with REXML recently and have encountered a
small problem.  After composing an XML document I want to output it to
file, currently I'm using xmlDoc.write theFile, problem is, the
resultant file does not have newlines after each element.  When openning
the file in a text editor it comes in as one big line.

Any idea how to inject newline characters without a bunch of post
processing?  Must be a pretty straightforward.

Thanks.
Chris.
unknown (Guest)
On Fri, 23 Dec 2005, Chris L. wrote:

> I've just started working with REXML recently and have encountered a small
> problem.  After composing an XML document I want to output it to file,
> currently I'm using xmlDoc.write theFile, problem is, the resultant file does
> not have newlines after each element.  When openning the file in a text
> editor it comes in as one big line.
>
> Any idea how to inject newline characters without a bunch of post processing?
> Must be a pretty straightforward.

if you do that it will not longer be valid xml.  try

   puts doc.pretty

hth.

-a
Christian N. (Guest)
Chris L. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> writes:

> I've just started working with REXML recently and have encountered a
> small problem.  After composing an XML document I want to output it to
> file, currently I'm using xmlDoc.write theFile, problem is, the
> resultant file does not have newlines after each element.  When
> openning the file in a text editor it comes in as one big line.

IIRC, there is an parameter to xmlDoc.write.  Try xmlDoc.write(STDOUT,
2).