Forum: Ruby on Rails Getting ri to include rdoc for my rails gems

Todd (Guest)
on 2005-12-23 03:14
I've installed Ruby 1.8.2 and Rails 1.0 on Windows XP and it's working
great. However, ri, doesn't seem to know about any of the rdocs for the
rails classes. For example if I run "ri --classes" none of the
ActiveRecord classes are listed. What's the correct way to get ri to
include rails classes?

Thanks,
Todd
Jean H. (Guest)
The best way I have found to do this shoud be to use rimport
(http://rimport.rubyforge.org/) . please fully read and understand the
caveats section before you use it. I couldn't get it to work perfectly
for me.

However you also have the option of using the gems documentation
server to access rails rdoc while offline. For this you basically want
to run 'gem_server' (see man for more options)

jean
Todd (Guest)
on 2005-12-23 14:19
I've used the gem_server option which does the trick but I find the ri
command line approach much quicker if I know what I'm looking for.

As a new user it's quite confusing for me that ri only includes the core
API and not the rdoc for installed gems as well. I just assumed for a
long time that I had something wrong with my installation. Thanks for
the pointer to rimport, any idea if anyone is working on better ri-gems
integration out of the box without a 3rd party tool?

Thanks,
Todd
Jean H. (Guest)
On 12/23/05, Todd <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Thanks for the pointer to rimport, any idea if anyone is working
> on better ri-gems integration out of the box without a 3rd
> party tool?

Sorry, I have no idea.
When I came acrosse the problem, I went as far as rimport, and when I
saw how fragile RI file structure was, I dropped it altogether, bought
the pickaxe, and went on with gem_server.

Jean