Forum: Ruby on Rails help with unless

Steve O. (Guest)

I need a fresh set of eyes to look at this bit of controller code and
tell
me why I might be getting an error message:

        lookup = Profit.find(:all, :conditions => [ "user_id = ? AND
product_id = ?", uid, pid])
        unless lookup.empty?
            if (lookup.updated_on > 360.minutes.ago)
                return

If lookup is empty, then I get an error message that
lookup.updated_ondoesn't exist. I've tried
lookup.nil? but lookup gets returned in the form of [] so that empty
works.
But if lookup is empty should not the code inside the statement get
ignored?

Any suggestions on how I might rework that code?

Thanks
Steve O.
http://www.smarkets.net
Rich B. (Guest)
:all returns an array of objects. :first would retrun the object in
question and allow you to do that.  I think you want lookup[0] - the
first object in the array.

On 12/22/05, Steve O. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>             end
> Steve O.
> http://www.smarkets.net

http://brantinteractive.com
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
4034 skippack pike
v. 267.640.2195
f. 215.689.1454
Joe Van D. (Guest)
>             end
>         end
>
> If lookup is empty, then I get an error message that lookup.updated_on
> doesn't exist. I've tried lookup.nil? but lookup gets returned in the form
> of [] so that empty works. But if lookup is empty should not the code inside
> the statement get ignored?
>
> Any suggestions on how I might rework that code?

Profit.find(:all) will return an array.  The array will be empty if
none of the conditions can be satisified.

Later on, you're calling updated_on on the array object, and I don't
think that's a valid method for an array object.

You probably want to use Profit.find(:first) (or maybe even
Profit.find_by_user_id_and_product_id().
Steve O. (Guest)
Yep. You guys were both right. I had changed my call from a
find_by_user_id
to a find(:all) and find all expects there might be more than one in the
array.

Thanks.

Steve