Forum: Ruby on Rails advice on MySQL version

Xavier N. (Guest)
I am going to start a project from scratch with MySQL. Is it a good
idea to go ahead with MySQL 5? Is there any gotcha with that version
as of today?

-- fxn

"We all agree on the necessity of compromise.  We just can't agree on
when it's necessary to compromise."
     -- Larry Wall in comp.lang.perl
Warren S. (Guest)
Mysql 5 works fine with the new rails 1.0.  Don't hack around with older
versions of rails
unless you have some specific need to.  Older versions of rails need
mysql-hackery to work
with mysql-5, but are tuned okay for mysql-4.0.  Use the latest of both.

Actually, postgres is a better choice, but that's up to you.

Warren S.
Rodrigo A. (Guest)
On 12/22/05, Warren S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> Mysql 5 works fine with the new rails 1.0.  Don't hack around with older
> versions of rails
> unless you have some specific need to.  Older versions of rails need
> mysql-hackery to work
> with mysql-5, but are tuned okay for mysql-4.0.  Use the latest of both.
>
> Actually, postgres is a better choice, but that's up to you.

Why?
Ian H. (Guest)
On 12/22/05, Rodrigo A. Fernández <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> Why?

It has a more complete feature set, and better adherance to ACID
behaviour in terms of not silently truncating, transforming, or
ignoring input rather than generating errors.  If your application is
non-trivial, you will end up moving to PostgreSQL, or coding around
the shortcomings of MySQL.

But, I'm a zealot.  Try Googling PostgreSQL vs MySQL and read what you
find.  Now is the best time to decide, migration is doable, but not
always easy.