Forum: Ruby on Rails getting onto edge rails

Mike S. (Guest)
Following directions from the wiki, I first tried to use svn:externals

$ svn propedit svn:externals vendor
svn: '.' is not a working copy

and got that error.  I then checked out the trunk into my /vendor
folder.  How do I install from this source?  The only install
directions I can find use gem.

Thanks for your help with either problem.

-Mike
Josh C. (Guest)
On 12/22/05, Mike S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> then checked out the trunk into my /vendor
> folder.  How do I install from this source?

ruby /path/to/project/vendor/rails/railties/bin/rails .
David Heinemeier H. (Guest)
> Following directions from the wiki, I first tried to use svn:externals
>
> $ svn propedit svn:externals vendor
> svn: '.' is not a working copy

The SVN approach only works if your project is currently under SVN.
Much easier is it to do "rake freeze_edge". That'll checkout Rails
into vendor/rails and you'll automatically be running Edge Rails.
--
David Heinemeier H.
http://www.basecamphq.com   -- Online project management
> The SVN approach only works if your project is currently under SVN.
> Much easier is it to do "rake freeze_edge". That'll checkout Rails
> into vendor/rails and you'll automatically be running Edge Rails.

The rake command doesn't include the rails command to upgrade your
application to edge rails; it only downloads the libraries themselves.
 At least that is my experience with the rake command.  If you have to
upgrade a 1.0 app to edge, you need to do a subversion trunk checkout
and then run the rails command cound in:

vendor/rails/railties/bin/rails

Once you application is upgraded (watch out for over written files),
rake freeze_edge works just fine.

Is this right? This was what I had to do, but I do not know if there
is an easier way...

Josh