Forum: Ruby on Rails Really OT: terms of service and privacy statements

Jin L. (Guest)
Hey everyone,

Aplogies asking such an off topic question on this list, as I have no
one
else to really turn to.

I plan to release a website very soon to the public. I am just one-man
shop,
and do not know much outside the realm of programming. I've taken care
of
the "business" aspect of things, but know nothing of the legal
necessities
of having a web business. Specifically, it would be great if anyone knew
"how not to get sued", such as where to get a terms of service
agreement,
privacy statements, trademarks? and copyrights?.

If anyone has any information or resources on these sorts of things,
that
would be great.

Thank you,

Jin
Craig W. (Guest)
On 22 Dec 2005, at 01:02, Jin L. wrote:
> Specifically, it would be great if anyone knew "how not to get
> sued", such as where to get a terms of service agreement, privacy
> statements, trademarks? and copyrights?.
>
> If anyone has any information or resources on these sorts of
> things, that would be great.

These things depend to a certain degree on the law of the country
which you are operating in and the nature of your business. If your
business is more than trivial I would seriously suggest that the fee
you'll pay for a few hours of a lawyers time will be far less than
the potential fine imposed if things go pear-shaped -- and with a
lawyer you'll get real peace-of-mind.

Yours,
Craig
--