Forum: Ruby on Rails Is "case" a magic name

Greg F. (Guest)
I'm a newbie.

My first app is using a table called cases.  With just "scaffold
:case" I get the basic list to show up.

I just did a "generate scaffold case case"  (I think that is correct).

Now when I try to list my cases, I'm getting a syntax error on all of
the view source code that references "case".

ie. <% for case in @cases %>

Thanks
Greg
--
Greg F.
The Norcross Group

-Chris
Marcel Molina Jr. (Guest)
On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 07:37:51PM -0500, Greg F. wrote:
> ie. <% for case in @cases %>
Yes, 'case' is part of Ruby's syntax.

  answer = 'yes'
  case answer
    when 'yes'
      # ...
    when 'no
      # ...
  end

marcel
Lee M. (Guest)
"case" is used for switch statements in Ruby.

Try renaming your local variable and see if it works.

<% for a_case in @cases %>
Greg F. (Guest)
On 12/21/05, Lee M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> "case" is used for switch statements in Ruby.
>
> Try renaming your local variable and see if it works.
>
> <% for a_case in @cases %>

Works like a champ.

Will having a table called cases give me ongoing problems, or is it
safe to proceed like this?

Thanks
Greg