Forum: Ruby More "Ruby for Java developers"

Tom C. (Guest)
There's a new article on IBM developerWorks called "Ruby off the Rails":

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/library/j-ruby/

It's pointing out various nifty things about Ruby for those Java
developers (and other folks) whose only interaction with Ruby has been
via Rails.   It's a "Ruby's good for Rails, and good on its own, too"
kind of thing.

I like the section headings... "Collections done right", good stuff.

Yours,

Tom
Malte M. (Guest)
Tom C.:
> There's a new article on IBM developerWorks called "Ruby off the Rails":
>
> http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/library/j-ruby/

Huh, it is really written from a very Javanese perspective:

| First, Ruby has no brackets or semicolons, and it makes types completely
| optional.

But apart from that, of course, it's always nice to see people
understanding
where Ruby can help them better than other langauges.

Malte
Joe Van D. (Guest)
On 12/23/05, Malte M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> But apart from that, of course, it's always nice to see people understanding
> where Ruby can help them better than other langauges.

Ruby has lots of brackets and braces.  And you can use semi-colons.
And it is a strongly-typed language.

Grr.
Malte M. (Guest)
Joe Van D.:
> On 12/23/05, Malte M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>> | First, Ruby has no brackets or semicolons, and it makes types
>> | completely optional.
> Ruby has lots of brackets and braces.  And you can use semi-colons. And it
> is a strongly-typed language.

Yea - that's why I quoted the above sentence. ;-)

Malte