Forum: Ruby on Rails Are there any disadvantages to using locomotive

Bruce B. (Guest)
Hi:

I had some issues and so switched to locomotive. I find it awesome. 1
click and its done.

My question - what disadvantages are there, if any? What do I lose by
using such a convenient solution.

speculation as well as facts are welcome but please define which you
are putting forwards.

Thanks in advance,

bruce
Alain R. (Guest)
on 2005-12-21 23:42
Bruce

cons:
--------

(skip to 2/ it you don't need to deploy on MacOS).

1/ As Locomotive includes Ruby, you are not suffering from MacOS known
Ruby trouble.
=> if you must deploy to MacOS, you must fix those problem separately,
and test your app again on this config to make sure everything is OK.

2/Locomotive uses 'bundled' versions of Rails
=> when a new version of Rails is available, you must wait for the
author to bundle it, before you can use it.
Note: I've never tried to use EdgeRails with Locomotive, so I can't say
if there is an alternative (meaning: if this is really a limitation)

Alain
Bruce B. (Guest)
Thank you, Alain.

Yes, I am on MacOS (should have mentioned that).  I am delighted if
the  'author bundling' issue is all you are aware of.  I don't want
to be THAT bleeding edge as I find it rather painful.

Good to know - thanks.

bruce
Justin F. (Guest)
Alain R. wrote:

> 2/Locomotive uses 'bundled' versions of Rails
> => when a new version of Rails is available, you must wait for the
> author to bundle it, before you can use it.

You can update Locomotive's gems in the usual way, if you open a
Terminal via Locomotive (so the path gets set up correctly) and do the
update from there.

regards

   Justin
Alain R. (Guest)
on 2005-12-22 17:17
Justin F. wrote:
   > You can update Locomotive's gems in the usual way, if you open a

So, if I just type
   rake freeze_edge

in the terminal, I'm also using EdgeRails, am I'nt?

Alain
Justin F. (Guest)
Alain R. wrote:
> Justin F. wrote:
>    > You can update Locomotive's gems in the usual way, if you open a
>
> So, if I just type
>    rake freeze_edge
>
> in the terminal, I'm also using EdgeRails, am I'nt?

Hi, Alain - you would have to try this; I have only been using gems.

regards

   Justin
Alain R. (Guest)
on 2005-12-22 22:34
   >> So, if I just type
   >>    rake freeze_edge
   >> in the terminal, I'm also using EdgeRails, am I'nt?
   >
   > Hi, Alain - you would have to try this; I have only been using
gems.

    I made a quick try with a fresh app, and got a "routing error"
message in the default Rails homepage, when trying to display my config.
I haven't had the time to investigate.

Alain
Nick S. (Guest)
The gem upgrade does indeed work. (althrough I got the default routing
error as well, but the rest of my app works fine). I'm still using
locomotive 0.13.3 (i think) but have been using rails 0.14.x/1.0.0 for
quite some time now. Apps work fine, as well as any gem updates.

And I managed to move all the path stuff from the locomotive specific
launch to my generic bash environment which I just run with the OS X
terminal program.

In any case, works fine, never had any issues on my end.

-Nick