How can I taalk to our AS/400?

Hello,

I can do this in java, but want to use Rails.
How can I connect to our AS/400?

Thanks

Frank

On 12/21/05, Frank [email protected] wrote:

Hello,

I can do this in java, but want to use Rails.
How can I connect to our AS/400?

Do you mean with TN5250, or some other kind of protocol, such as
directly to a database?

Frank,

the only way I know of connecting to an AS/400 db is via ODBC with
languages
like PHP or Ruby. unfortunately, there is no generic ODBC adapter for
Rails. You might be able to create an adapter much like the sqlserver
adapter, which utilizes ODBC, i believe.

you CAN get ruby to talk to an AS/400. on linux, you’ll need

IBM iSeries Access driver for linux
unixODBC
Ruby ODBC
Ruby DBI

http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/ODBC
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/153403

ok, I am on Windows.
I just wanted to do simple queries to our AS/400 database.

Frank
the only way I know of connecting to an AS/400 db is via ODBC with
languages like PHP or Ruby. unfortunately, there is no generic ODBC
adapter for Rails. You might be able to create an adapter much like the
sqlserver adapter, which utilizes ODBC, i believe.

you CAN get ruby to talk to an AS/400. on linux, you’ll need

IBM iSeries Access driver for linux
unixODBC
Ruby ODBC
Ruby DBI

Peak Obsession
http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/153403

On 12/21/05, Frank [email protected] wrote:
Hello,

I can do this in java, but want to use Rails.
How can I connect to our AS/400?

Thanks

Frank

then you’ll want the iSeries Access for Windows driver…but you’re
still
stuck with the fact there is no generic ODBC adapter for rails