Forum: Ruby Re: Bruce Eckel and Ruby

Berger, Daniel (Guest)

Except that I don't believe that he has tried it.  Not really.  I've
watched a few presentations of his online.  In one instance, about a
year and a half ago, he mentioned that he briefly looked at Ruby, saw
that it had $ globals and decided right there and then that it was too
Perl like and went with Python, or something along those lines.

http://mindview.net/WebLog/log-0055 - I *think* that's the one, but I
can't view it at work.

Sure, it's been a year and a half since that video, but when you've
already decided in your mind that a language sucks, it's pretty hard to
convince yourself to bother with in depth investigation.  Except for
reading 2nd hand information from the likes of Ian B.'s blog, I
don't believe he has spent any significant time investigating Ruby.

In short, I believe he's guilty of the very same thing he accuses Bruce
Tate of, that is dismissing a language without truly investigating it.

Dan