Forum: Ruby OT: Mac configuration

nsquared (Guest)
I am switching from Windows to Mac specifically for Ruby development.
Can someone give me suggestions for laptop hardware config and favorite
dev software to use on the mac platform.

thanks in advance!
Timothy H. (Guest)
nsquared wrote:
> I am switching from Windows to Mac specifically for Ruby development.
> Can someone give me suggestions for laptop hardware config and favorite
> dev software to use on the mac platform.
>
> thanks in advance!

I've been very (make that _extraordinarily_) happy with my 15" G4
Powerbook, 1Gb RAM, 1.67Ghz. Using TextMate or vim (depending on my
mood). If you plan on doing any C development you'll need to install the
XCode tools from the install DVD.
Rich M. (Guest)
At 12:42 AM +0900 12/22/05, Timothy H. wrote:
>If you plan on doing any C development you'll need
>to install the XCode tools from the install DVD.

Actually, the XCode package contains lots more than
XCode.  Unless you're disk-limited, just load it!

-r
Tim H. (Guest)
nsquared <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> I am switching from Windows to Mac specifically for Ruby
> development.  Can someone give me suggestions for laptop
> hardware config and favorite dev software to use on the mac
> platform.

Hardware: Aluminum Powerbook G4 15".

Software:
The dev tools include Xcode, gcc4, an X server that works well
with Aqua, and lots of other stuff.  Don't forget to load it!
Xcode I've never used personally, but gcc and the X11 have
proven priceless.

Ruby comes pre-installed with the base system.

Vim.app with +ruby from http://macvim.org

Tim H.
Logan C. (Guest)
On Dec 21, 2005, at 1:52 PM, Tim H. wrote:

> Ruby comes pre-installed with the base system.

Just be careful, many Mac users prefer to install Ruby from source
because Apple's build is "broken" in some senses (pack's endian stuff
is mixed up) and non-standard in others. (ruby.h header and some
friends are in a non-standard place).
Tim H. (Guest)
Logan C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Tim H. wrote:
> > Ruby comes pre-installed with the base system.
>
> Just be careful, many Mac users prefer to install Ruby from
> source  because Apple's build is "broken" in some senses
> (pack's endian stuff  is mixed up) and non-standard in others.
> (ruby.h header and some  friends are in a non-standard place).

    penryu@kotoko:~>% type -a ruby
    ruby is /usr/bin/ruby
    ruby is /opt/local/bin/ruby

Yeah, I ran into some issues myself.  But the problem is well
documented and a solution easily found if the OP runs into any
of these issues.  Hell, half the RoR docs I've found take
a proactive approach and say "might as well replace it *before*
you have any problems."

> --Apple-Mail-2-122512390--

Just be careful. Apple Mail is "broken" in some senses and
non-standard in others.  :)  (I'm still waiting for external
editor support...)

(I use Mail.app for all my personal correspondence.  But I can't
live without a nice (mutt|slrn)+vim combo for lists/groups.)

Cheers!
Tim H.
nsquared (Guest)
Thanks for all the info.  New Mac arrives next week!
Jason J. (Guest)
I like using either...
jEdit ( http://www.jedit.org/  ) with the Ruby plugin (
http://jedit.org/ruby/ ).
Smultron ( http://smultron.sourceforge.net/ ).

jEdit works for all platforms, so if you use a lot of different
operating systems that seems to be the way to go.
Dave H. (Guest)
On Dec 21, 2005, at 10:18, Rich M. wrote:

> At 12:42 AM +0900 12/22/05, Timothy H. wrote:
>> If you plan on doing any C development you'll need
>> to install the XCode tools from the install DVD.
>
> Actually, the XCode package contains lots more than
> XCode.  Unless you're disk-limited, just load it!

Agreed. LOTS of little tools and widgets get installed. GetFile and
SetFile, the Property List Editor, the Rez tools, CpMac and MvMac, icon
tools, and other things.