Forum: Ruby on Rails textilize - redcloth

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?J=F6rg?= (Guest)

I'm using textilize with redcloth 3.0.4. Everything works best except
that paragraphs are not translated as an HTML paragraph

When I write something like:

*first paragraph*

second paragraph

the output is without paragraph:

*first paragraph*
second paragraph

Any help??? Thanks

Jörg
Jake J. (Guest)
on 2005-12-21 16:28
=?ISO-8859-15?Q?J=F6rg?= wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using textilize with redcloth 3.0.4. Everything works best except
> that paragraphs are not translated as an HTML paragraph

Are you including newlines?  i.e. "\n"

   Jake
Jan P. (Guest)
Hi, Jörg,

thats got to do with the hardcoded :hard_breaks in rails textilize
helper:

# File vendor/rails/actionpack/lib/action_view/helpers/text_helper.rb,
line 84
84:         def textilize(text)
85:           if text.blank?
86:             ""
87:           else
88:             textilized = RedCloth.new(text, [ :hard_breaks ])
89:             textilized.hard_breaks = true if
textilized.respond_to?("hard_breaks=")
90:             textilized.to_html
91:           end
92:         end

put your own helper in application_helper.rb, use that one and you
should be fine:

def tlize(text)
  text = RedCloth.new(text)
  return text.to_html
end

Regards
Jan
=?UTF-8?B?SsO2cmc=?= (Guest)
Jake J. schrieb:

>Are you including newlines?  i.e. "\n"
>
>   Jake

No, new lines do work. It's only when seperating text by a blank line
the text should be a paragraph, that does not work.

Jörg

i.e.:

This is what I write into my textarea:

*test*

test

this is what comes out:

*test
*test

and this it what should come out (http://hobix.com/textile/):

*test*

test

thanks for any help!!!
=?UTF-8?B?SsO2cmc=?= (Guest)

Hi Jan,

thanks for the answer, now paragraphs work but new lines do not?! : )
do you have another glue?

Thanks
Jan P. (Guest)
Ahh, thats interesting, seems as if its kind of an 'alternative' thing.
maybe you'll find something on redcloth forums or mailing-lists (there
surely are some?) or might try something like:

    def tlize(text)
      text.gsub!( /(.*)(\n)/, '\1<br />' )
      text = RedCloth.new(text)
      return text.to_html
    end

the regex might be quite naive (n00b), if you've got something better
tell us!

Regards
Jan
Ezra Z. (Guest)
On Dec 21, 2005, at 4:49 AM, Jörg wrote:

> the output is without paragraph:
>
> *first paragraph*
> second paragraph
>
> Any help??? Thanks
>
> Jörg

Redcloth 3.0.4 is b0rked. Everything will work as expected if you
downgrade to Redcloth 3.0.3

Cheers-
-Ezra Z.
Yakima Herald-Republic
WebMaster
http://yakimaherald.com
509-577-7732
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Kenneth L. (Guest)
thanks a lot, this just cropped up on me too.

On 12/21/05, Ezra Z. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> > *first paragraph*
> > Jörg
> >
> http://yakimaherald.com