Forum: Ruby on Rails Globalize plugin

Alexander A. (Guest)
Is there any working example on using the Globalize plugin?
It could help alot
Thanks in advance
Alain R. (Guest)
on 2005-12-21 12:30
Did you check the official site:
     http://globalize.diluvia.net/wiki
?

Alain
Alexander A. (Guest)
Alain R. wrote:
> Did you check the official site:
>      http://globalize.diluvia.net/wiki
> ?
>
> Alain

Yes I did and the installation all described on the documentation are
ok. What I need is a working rails example to understand how I'll store
the translated text on the database for each language, how do I define
available languages etc.
So a small rails application with one table and a couple of data
translated I think would help some new ruby programmers like me :)
Joshua H. (Guest)
on 2005-12-21 17:19
Thanks for the questions! I just added a new how-to page to the wiki:
http://globalize.diluvia.net/wiki/pages/How+To

Let me know if that answers your first question. As for your second
question, what do you mean exactly by defining available languages?

Also, your idea of including a tiny example app is a good one. I'll try
to whip something up as soon as I have some time. Or if anyone else
wants to volunteer, let me know.

Josh Harvey
http://shnoo.gr

Alexander A. wrote:
> Alain R. wrote:
>> Did you check the official site:
>>      http://globalize.diluvia.net/wiki
>> ?
>>
>> Alain
>>
> Yes I did and the installation all described on the documentation are
> ok. What I need is a working rails example to understand how I'll store
> the translated text on the database for each language, how do I define
> available languages etc.
> So a small rails application with one table and a couple of data
> translated I think would help some new ruby programmers like me :)
Alexander A. (Guest)
Thanks Joshua. This clears some things out for sure.
What I have to figure out now is how to include the translation process
in the application so I don't have to type the translations from the
console in order to enter them in the db.
Thanks

--
Alexander A.
Information Systems Department

I ripped it out of some stuff I'm working on, so no guarantees, but
feedback is welcome, as always.

Joshua Harvey
http://shnoo.gr

Alexander A. wrote:
> Thanks Joshua. This clears some things out for sure.
> What I have to figure out now is how to include the translation process
> in the application so I don't have to type the translations from the
> console in order to enter them in the db.
> Thanks
>
> Joshua Harvey wrote:
>> Josh Harvey
>>
> --
> Alexander A.
> Information Systems Department
> Mediterranean Agronomic Institute of Chania
> Tel.: +30 28210 35000 718
> Email: removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Alexander A. (Guest)
Cool Joshua. I'll try this little later and let you know.
Thanks again

Joshua Harvey wrote:

>>--
>>Alexander A.
>>Information Systems Department
>>Mediterranean Agronomic Institute of Chania
>>Tel.: +30 28210 35000 718
>>Email: removed_email_address@domain.invalid

--
Alexander A.
Information Systems Department
Mediterranean Agronomic Institute of Chania
Tel.: +30 28210 35000 718
Email: removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Alexander A. (Guest)
I believe a template is missing.
the error I get is :
No rhtml, rxml, or delegate template found for
translate/_translation_text

and it must come from :
<%= render :partial => 'translation_text', :object => tr.text %>

As I said I'm a newby in Ruby ans Rails so maybe I do something wrong

Alex

Joshua Harvey wrote:

>>--
>>Alexander A.
>>Information Systems Department
>>Mediterranean Agronomic Institute of Chania
>>Tel.: +30 28210 35000 718
>>Email: removed_email_address@domain.invalid

--
Alexander A.
Mediterranean Agronomic Institute of Chania
Tel: +30 28210 35000 ext.718
email: removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Robby R. (Guest)
On Wed, 2005-12-21 at 19:12 +0100, Joshua Harvey wrote:
> Try this out:
> http://globalize.diluvia.net/wiki/pages/Adding+a+T...
>
> I ripped it out of some stuff I'm working on, so no guarantees, but
> feedback is welcome, as always.

I'll try to get Jeremy to post some more examples of this... he's
currently on a plane back to Ohio for the holiday weekend. We just got
done working on a site for a client that is using Globalize for 20
languages.

I know he posted on his blog a few times about his experience with it.

http://jvoorhis.com/

We were highly impressed with how well it could be incorporated with our
application and it now works with PostgreSQL. ;-)

http://www.robbyonrails.com/articles/2005/11/30/lo...

Thanks for this great plugin Josh!

-Robby

--
/**************************************************************
* Robby R., Founder & Executive Director                 *
Alex wrote:
> I believe a template is missing.

Alex, thanks for pointing that out -- I had forgotten to paste it in,
it's there now:
http://globalize.diluvia.net/wiki/pages/Adding+a+T...

And Robby, thanks for the kind words :)

Josh Harvey
http://shnoo.gr

Robby R. wrote:

> We were highly impressed with how well it could be incorporated with our
> application and it now works with PostgreSQL. ;-)

http://www.robbyonrails.com/articles/2005/11/30/lo...

> Thanks for this great plugin Josh!
Alexander A. (Guest)
Joshua it is working great. Thanks for all the help. I'll try to clear
out the test application I was using and send it to you maybe you can
use it as an example
Thanks

Alex