Forum: Ruby on Rails Using rails with stored procedures

Gioachino Bartolotta (Guest)
Hi all!
I am quite new to rails, and I would like to know if there is a
tutorial, or if someone can tell me how to use rails with stored
procedures and views.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks to all
--
Jeroen H. (Guest)
Gioachino Bartolotta wrote:
> Hi all!
> I am quite new to rails, and I would like to know if there is a
> tutorial, or if someone can tell me how to use rails with stored
> procedures and views.
> Any help would be appreciated.

Views you can use as an ActiveRecord model, save, create and update
won't work ofcourse, unless you setup your DB to support updatable
views.

I imagine you can run stores procedures with
YourModel.connecion.select_value("SELECT myfunction()") or something
similar.

Triggers will ofcourse work transparently through ActiveRecord, but be
sure to reload the model after a save operation as the trigger may have
caused the object to go "out of sync", if you know what I mean.

Jeroen
Ed C. (Guest)
Gioachino,

Are you using Microsoft SQL Server? If so, I think you could run
the following sql to return a recordset from a Stored Proc.:

" EXEC yourStoredProcName @param='value' "

(However, I believe this will not return any OUTPUT parameters or Return
Codes)
Gioachino Bartolotta (Guest)
Hi Ed!

I am using PostgreSQL ... I work only on *nix like system
Right noe I am trying to see how rails work with views ... ;)

Thanks guys for your help ...

2005/12/20, Ed C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:

Stored Procedures is not the rails way............

All features that make our database, [business] smart we hate..........
Chris H. (Guest)
on 2005-12-21 04:42
Leon L. wrote:
> Stored Procedures is not the rails way............
>
> All features that make our database, [business] smart we hate..........

Agreed - even microsoft is heading that direction with LINQ. Stored
procs are soooo 90's ...