Forum: Ruby on Rails missing shortcut

Milt M. (Guest)
on 2005-12-19 10:04
I'm trying to start RubyGems on my hd. Windows searches for and can't
find a file named gemhelp.cmd

Can I download that files somewhere?
Milt M. (Guest)
on 2005-12-19 18:54
Milt Michael wrote:
> I'm trying to start RubyGems on my hd. Windows searches for and can't
> find a file named gemhelp.cmd
>
> Can I download that files somewhere?

Please!!!

Can anyone help a newbie with this???
Ed C. (Guest)
Hi, Milt --

What version of RubyGems did you install?

If you haven't installed anything yet, take a look at v0.8.11 @
http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubygems/

Hope that helps,
EJC
Milt M. (Guest)
on 2005-12-19 20:12
Ed C. wrote:
> Hi, Milt --
>
> What version of RubyGems did you install?
>
> If you haven't installed anything yet, take a look at v0.8.11 @
> http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubygems/
>
> Hope that helps,
> EJC

Ed,

Yes, that's the version I installed. I can see Ruby in my programs, but
when I try to launch Package Manager, I get the missing shortcut
problem.

I'm a complete newbie, but a big believer in the principles of ror - any
help greatly appreciated!

I have it installed on my server at site5.

Milt
Kay S. (Guest)
on 2005-12-19 20:35
Are you illiterate or did you simply not even bother to read the
solution I posted in your other thread on the Site5 forums you can't
stop bumping?

http://betweengo.com/ruby-on-rails/2005/11/08/sett...
Giles B. (Guest)
bwahahaha!! holy crap.

weird site, btw. "we make ruby on rails easy. we make atg easy."

ATG isn't easy to start with, fair enough, but part of the whole
appeal of RoR is that it makes **itself** easy. but whatever.

On 12/19/05, Kay S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> removed_email_address@domain.invalid

Giles B. = Giles Goat Boy
http://www.gilesgoatboy.org/
Milt M. (Guest)
on 2005-12-19 21:31
Kay S. wrote:
> Are you illiterate or did you simply not even bother to read the
> solution I posted in your other thread on the Site5 forums?

http://betweengo.com/ruby-on-rails/2005/11/08/sett...

Sorry!!! (missed that paragraph)

If you called me illiterate for missing that, I hate to hear what you're
going to call me after this question: How do you open a cmd window?

RoR is still a long ways from being easy, in my books - but I'm sold on
the concept and want to learn enough about it to be able to use it.

Milt
Ed C. (Guest)
Milt,

In Windows, click the "Start" button, then click "Run" and type "cmd" in
the
text box, then press enter.

(Unless you were just kidding?)
Milt M. (Guest)
on 2005-12-19 22:17
Ed C. wrote:
> Milt,
>
> In Windows, click the "Start" button, then click "Run" and type "cmd" in
> the
> text box, then press enter.
>
> (Unless you were just kidding?)

Thanks Ed!

No, I wasn't kidding.

Can you please tell me what the gem command is now. Hopefully I'll be
able to follow documentation after that!

Milt
Ed C. (Guest)
Milt,

Depending on where you Ruby directory is, in the cmd prompt window you
want
to type something like:

     c:\ruby\bin\ruby gem install GEM_NAME

Where GEM_NAME is the name of the gem you're trying to install.

(In the case of rails, you would type "ruby gem install rails -y")

(The "-y" is a shortcut for saying "yes, include all dependencies")

Good luck!
EJC
Milt M. (Guest)
on 2005-12-20 00:10
Ed C. wrote:
> Milt,
>
> Depending on where you Ruby directory is, in the cmd prompt window you
> want
> to type something like:
>
>      c:\ruby\bin\ruby gem install GEM_NAME
>
> Where GEM_NAME is the name of the gem you're trying to install.
>
> (In the case of rails, you would type "ruby gem install rails -y")
>
> (The "-y" is a shortcut for saying "yes, include all dependencies")
>
> Good luck!
> EJC

Ed, Thanks for that, but I got "No such file or directory -- gems
<LoadError>"

I entered "c:\ruby\bin\ruby gem install rails -y"

Milt