Forum: Ruby on Rails Log viewer for colorized logs

List R. (Guest)
on 2005-12-18 03:52
Is there a decent log viewer for colorized log files?

less -r for me doesn't work well, as it sometimes clears the screen.

I'd like:
  * Either a console type less viewer which just removes the colors
  * Or, even better, a console one which handles the colors without
clearing the screen
  * Or, best of all, a GUI viewer - maybe even with color

I use both Windows and Linux.  Any recommendations?
jonathan (Guest)
on 2005-12-18 06:04
List R. wrote:
> Is there a decent log viewer for colorized log files?
>
> less -r for me doesn't work well, as it sometimes clears the screen.
>
> I'd like:
>   * Either a console type less viewer which just removes the colors
>   * Or, even better, a console one which handles the colors without
> clearing the screen
>   * Or, best of all, a GUI viewer - maybe even with color
>
> I use both Windows and Linux.  Any recommendations?

I know this isn't what you're looking for but it works.  Just use 'cat'
in a GUI terminal window and scroll back if the log file isn't very long
or 'tail -n x' if it is (on linux of course).

--J
List R. (Guest)
on 2005-12-18 07:55
jonathan wrote:
> List R. wrote:
>> Is there a decent log viewer for colorized log files?
>>
>> less -r for me doesn't work well, as it sometimes clears the screen.
>>
>> I'd like:
>>   * Either a console type less viewer which just removes the colors
>>   * Or, even better, a console one which handles the colors without
>> clearing the screen
>>   * Or, best of all, a GUI viewer - maybe even with color
>>
>> I use both Windows and Linux.  Any recommendations?
>
> I know this isn't what you're looking for but it works.  Just use 'cat'
> in a GUI terminal window and scroll back if the log file isn't very long
> or 'tail -n x' if it is (on linux of course).
>
> --J

Correct, but they don't handle color (rails uses ANSI escape codes for
it).  I know color can be shut off, but I find it quite useful.
Chris DiMartino (Guest)
on 2005-12-18 08:05
tail -f gives me colorized log tail with follow in linux.

List R. wrote:
> jonathan wrote:
>> List R. wrote:
>>> Is there a decent log viewer for colorized log files?
>>>
>>> less -r for me doesn't work well, as it sometimes clears the screen.
>>>
>>> I'd like:
>>>   * Either a console type less viewer which just removes the colors
>>>   * Or, even better, a console one which handles the colors without
>>> clearing the screen
>>>   * Or, best of all, a GUI viewer - maybe even with color
>>>
>>> I use both Windows and Linux.  Any recommendations?
>>
>> I know this isn't what you're looking for but it works.  Just use 'cat'
>> in a GUI terminal window and scroll back if the log file isn't very long
>> or 'tail -n x' if it is (on linux of course).
>>
>> --J
>
> Correct, but they don't handle color (rails uses ANSI escape codes for
> it).  I know color can be shut off, but I find it quite useful.
List R. (Guest)
on 2005-12-18 11:48
Chris DiMartino wrote:
> tail -f gives me colorized log tail with follow in linux.

Right, but if you read the original post: I am looking for a way of
going through log *files*, not watching logs as they stream by.
Something like less, which lets me page back and forth, and search
easily.

More for operations and admin than development ("What happened at 3:00PM
that our orders went down?!")
Bragi Ragnarson (Guest)
On 18/12/05, List R. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> Is there a decent log viewer for colorized log files?

# lv -c log/development.log

seems to do the job ;)
List R. (Guest)
on 2005-12-18 12:13
Bragi Ragnarson wrote:
> On 18/12/05, List R. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> Is there a decent log viewer for colorized log files?
>>

> # lv -c log/development.log
>
> seems to do the job ;)

Sounds great!
It's on neither my RedHat ES 4, or my Windows XP, and Googling for any
two letters turns up a lot of noise.  Mind if I ask you to post a link?

--
$ which lv
/usr/bin/which: no lv in
> > # lv -c log/development.log
> Sounds great!
> It's on neither my RedHat ES 4, or my Windows XP, and Googling for any
> two letters turns up a lot of noise.  Mind if I ask you to post a link?
>
> --
> $ which lv
> /usr/bin/which: no lv in

(/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/lstrecv/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/sbin:/usr/sbin)

It was installed by default on my Fedora Core 4 and according to
http://rpm.pbone.net/ rpms are available for all open Redhat-based
distributions. So you should be able to install it using up2date or
whatever RHES4 provides. And you can always use Fedora Core 3 rpms as
fallback.

You can also find it here if you would like to compile it from source
(it compiles and runs on MS platforms too):

http://www.ff.iij4u.or.jp/~nrt/lv/

--
Bragi Ragnarson
Francois GORET (Guest)
On Sunday 18 December 2005 08:52, List R. wrote:
> I use both Windows and Linux.  Any recommendations?
Did you try "less -R" ? According to the man, should "keep track of the
screen
apearance".

Francois