Forum: Ruby How come I get two e-mails?

Francis V. (Guest)

How come I get two e-mails everytime I post here?
Mike Douglas (Guest)
On 12/15/05, Francis V. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How come I get two e-mails everytime I post here?

Gmail includes your sent message in the conversation view and the
ruby-talk mailing list daemon sends one to all list members (including
you). Nothing to worry about.
Francis V. (Guest)
Hmm.. I thought it was a mailing list "feature" of some sort. Thanks
Mike!
luke (Guest)
should this question be added to the comp.lang.ruby FAQ do you think? it
seems to be a question that is quite frequently asked so as to qualify.
maybe it could become question 2.7

"Mike Douglas" <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote in message
Chris G. (Guest)
luke wrote:

> should this question be added to the comp.lang.ruby FAQ do you
> think? it seems to be a question that is quite frequently asked
> so as to qualify. maybe it could become question 2.7

....to which the answer would be, use the newsgroup not the mail
list?

--
Chris G.

"Some software or hardware problem no doubt," -- Grimly Fiendish
Gregory B. (Guest)
> luke wrote:
>
> > should this question be added to the comp.lang.ruby FAQ do you
> > think? it seems to be a question that is quite frequently asked
> > so as to qualify. maybe it could become question 2.7
>
> ....to which the answer would be, use the newsgroup not the mail
> list?

That's a little... no... incredibly steep considering the situation.

The issue is not present in all mail readers.  Just ones like GMail ;)

To the OP, search the archive and see the discussion about GMail,
there is a way to get around this with filtering but it has some nasty
side effects.
Chad P. (Guest)
On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 08:27:45PM +0900, Chris G. wrote:
> luke wrote:
>
> > should this question be added to the comp.lang.ruby FAQ do you
> > think? it seems to be a question that is quite frequently asked
> > so as to qualify. maybe it could become question 2.7
>
> ....to which the answer would be, use the newsgroup not the mail
> list?

No . . . to which the answer would be: "Use something other than Gmail,
or learn to live with it."  Possibly with some explanation.

--
Chad P. [ CCD CopyWrite | http://ccd.apotheon.org ]

Greg D. (Guest)
> The issue is not present in all mail readers.  Just ones like GMail ;)

Nor is this issue present on all list serves.  I do not see this
behaviour on php-general, mysql, pgsql-general, or my local lug's list
serve.

--
Greg D.
Zend Certified Engineer
> On 12/16/05, Gregory B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> > The issue is not present in all mail readers.  Just ones like GMail ;)
>
> Nor is this issue present on all list serves.  I do not see this
> behaviour on php-general, mysql, pgsql-general, or my local lug's list
> serve.

so is this an issue with USENET groups and Gmail?

Idk... it annoys me but you get used to it or work around it. :-/
Jon S. (Guest)
I think this this is a problem in the FML mailer. I am subscribed to
many other email lists and they don't have this problem. Can FML be
configured to not echo a message back to the person who sent it?
Jon S. (Guest)
I also don't think FML should be setting a Reply-To: header.  If it
were to leave that header out reply and reply all would work correctly
in gmail.