Forum: Ruby Advanced Ruby Book (was Forthcoming 2nd ed. of _The Ruby Way

pat eyler (Guest)
On 12/15/05, Patrick H. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> On 12/15/05, Phil T. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> > We really need an advanced Ruby book now.
>
> Shifting the focus of the thread a little bit, but what would your
> idea table of contents look like in an Advanced Ruby book?

I can't speak to order either, but I'd love to see a chapter on
Profiling and Optimizing Ruby.
Martin DeMello (Guest)
pat eyler <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> On 12/15/05, Patrick H. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> > On 12/15/05, Phil T. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> > > We really need an advanced Ruby book now.
> >
> > Shifting the focus of the thread a little bit, but what would your
> > idea table of contents look like in an Advanced Ruby book?
> >

> I can't speak to order either, but I'd love to see a chapter on
> Profiling and Optimizing Ruby.

And one on distribution and IPC in the most general sense (Drb, shared
memory, clusters, communicating with other programs, client/server
architectures, etc)

martin
unknown (Guest)
In article
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>,
pat eyler  <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

>> * Continuations
>> * Threads and Processes
>> * Extensions
>> * Embedding Ruby

good list.
I'd include a chapter on "Functional Ruby" or "Higher order Ruby"

I'm not sure I'd include Unit Testing as it is covered in "Programming
Ruby".

Also an inheritance diagram showing the relationship between Class,
Module,
Object, Kernel, etc. would be good.

Phil
pat eyler (Guest)
On 12/15/05, Phil T. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> good list.
> I'd include a chapter on "Functional Ruby" or "Higher order Ruby"
>
> I'm not sure I'd include Unit Testing as it is covered in "Programming Ruby".

I'd love to see a more in-depth look at unit testing.   (In fact, it
wouldn't
be a bad thing to see a pocket reference sized piece.)
James G. (Guest)
On Dec 15, 2005, at 5:04 PM, pat eyler wrote:

> On 12/15/05, Phil T. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>> good list.
>> I'd include a chapter on "Functional Ruby" or "Higher order Ruby"
>>
>> I'm not sure I'd include Unit Testing as it is covered in
>> "Programming Ruby".
>
> I'd love to see a more in-depth look at unit testing.   (In fact,
> it wouldn't
> be a bad thing to see a pocket reference sized piece.)

Yeah, the Prags have a Java and C# version of their volume don't
they?  A Ruby version would be excellent.

James Edward G. II