Forum: Ruby on Rails site takes a while to load after first visit in a while

Joe Van D. (Guest)
Using lighttpd + fcgi to power a site.  When no one has accessed it in
a while, the first visit to the page takes a while to load up.  Then
subsequent visits are fairly fast.

Any ideas on how to fix it?
Ezra Z. (Guest)
On Dec 15, 2005, at 11:36 AM, Joe Van D. wrote:

> Using lighttpd + fcgi to power a site.  When no one has accessed it in
> a while, the first visit to the page takes a while to load up.  Then
> subsequent visits are fairly fast.
>
> Any ideas on how to fix it?

Joe-

	I have seen this problem in an older version of lighty and the way I
solved it is kinda kludgy but it works well. Just make a cron job to
fetch a page every so often and send the results to /dev/null .

Cheers-

-Ezra Z.
Yakima Herald-Republic
WebMaster
http://yakimaherald.com
509-577-7732
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Joe Van D. (Guest)
On 12/15/05, Ezra Z. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> solved it is kinda kludgy but it works well. Just make a cron job to
> fetch a page every so often and send the results to /dev/null .

Here's what I'm using:

joevd@bidwell$ lighttpd -v

lighttpd-1.4.8 (ssl) - a light and fast webserver
Build-Date: Nov 26 2005 01:11:05

Seems pretty recent to me.
Phillip H. (Guest)
On 16/12/2005, at 9:20 AM, Joe Van D. wrote:

> Here's what I'm using:
>
> joevd@bidwell$ lighttpd -v
>
> lighttpd-1.4.8 (ssl) - a light and fast webserver
> Build-Date: Nov 26 2005 01:11:05
>
> Seems pretty recent to me.

How much RAM does the machine have and how much of it is used? Rails
apps sit idle when they're not being used, so the OS might well swap
it all out to disk. I see that a lot on my old test machine ;)

--
Phillip H.
On Dec 15, 2005, at 12:20 PM, Joe Van D. wrote:

> Build-Date: Nov 26 2005 01:11:05
>
> Seems pretty recent to me.

Well yep thats the latest. I used to have the same problem on 1.3.16
or something and the earliest 1.4.x version. biut I haven't had the
problem or been able to reproduce it recently.

On 12/15/05, Phillip H. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> > Seems pretty recent to me.
>
> How much RAM does the machine have and how much of it is used? Rails
> apps sit idle when they're not being used, so the OS might well swap
> it all out to disk. I see that a lot on my old test machine ;)

4 gigabytes.  Not sure how much is in use.  It's on one of TxD's shared
servers.