Forum: Ruby Did the numbers for this list get reset?

unknown (Guest)
Hi --

I just noticed that my last post to ruby-talk has mail-count number
95.

Did something get reset?

David

--
David A. Black
removed_email_address@domain.invalid

"Ruby for Rails", forthcoming from Manning Publications, April 2006!
Yukihiro M. (Guest)
In message "Re: Did the numbers for this list get reset?"
    on Fri, 16 Dec 2005 03:29:13 +0900, removed_email_address@domain.invalid
writes:

|I just noticed that my last post to ruby-talk has mail-count number
|95.
|
|Did something get reset?

Somehow a file contains sequence number corrupted on 2005-12-15
19:27:58 JST.  I just restored.

							matz.
nobuyoshi nakada (Guest)

At Fri, 16 Dec 2005 05:09:45 +0900,
Yukihiro M. wrote in [ruby-talk:170950]:
> |I just noticed that my last post to ruby-talk has mail-count number
> |95.
> |
> |Did something get reset?
>
> Somehow a file contains sequence number corrupted on 2005-12-15
> 19:27:58 JST.  I just restored.

Old articles 1-112 were lost?  Seems blade has lost them too.
unknown (Guest)
Quoting nobuyoshi nakada <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:

> > Somehow a file contains sequence number corrupted on 2005-12-15
> > 19:27:58 JST.  I just restored.
>
> Old articles 1-112 were lost?  Seems blade has lost them too.

Ugh... probably because they were "overwritten" by the mis-numbered
articles.

Hopefully someone has backups... I imagine they are rather
historically important...

-mental
unknown (Guest)
On Dec 16, 2005, at 1:16 PM, removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

> Quoting nobuyoshi nakada <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
>
>>> Somehow a file contains sequence number corrupted on 2005-12-15
>>> 19:27:58 JST.  I just restored.
>>
>> Old articles 1-112 were lost?  Seems blade has lost them too.
>
> Hopefully someone has backups... I imagine they are rather
> historically important...

for the moment they are in the google cache...
Wayne V. (Guest)
> > Hopefully someone has backups... I imagine they are rather
> > historically important...
>
> for the moment they are in the google cache...

I should have backups of all these articles.  I can check when I get
home tonight.

Wayne

---
Wayne V.
No Bugs Software
"Ruby and C++ Agile Contract Programming in Silicon Valley"
Christian N. (Guest)
removed_email_address@domain.invalid writes:

> Quoting nobuyoshi nakada <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
>
>> > Somehow a file contains sequence number corrupted on 2005-12-15
>> > 19:27:58 JST.  I just restored.
>>
>> Old articles 1-112 were lost?  Seems blade has lost them too.
>
> Ugh... probably because they were "overwritten" by the mis-numbered
> articles.

.oO(can this be exploited by faking the X-Mail-Count number?)
unknown (Guest)
Quoting Christian N. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:

> .oO(can this be exploited by faking the X-Mail-Count number?)

Possibly... it looks like the listserv doesn't strip existing
X-Mail-Counts, though it puts them second.

-mental
unknown (Guest)
Quoting removed_email_address@domain.invalid:

> Quoting Christian N. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
>
> > .oO(can this be exploited by faking the X-Mail-Count number?)
>
> Possibly... it looks like the listserv doesn't strip existing
> X-Mail-Counts, though it puts them second.

(the archives are okay, since they ignore all but the first)

-mental
Wayne V. (Guest)
I do have backups of all these files, as .htm files that I used
'net/http'
to get from http://www.ruby-talk.org/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/nnn.

If anyone needs them to do the restore, I'll .zip them up and send them
to you.

Wayne