Forum: Ruby Same class, different module

Caleb T. (Guest)
Here's a small snippet of code I'm trying to hack on:

module Mod1
  class A
    def meth
      puts "in Mod 1"

  class B
    def initialize
      A.new.meth

module Mod2
  class A < Mod1::A
    def meth
      put "in Mod 2"

  class B < Mod1::B

p Mod1::B.new
p Mod2::B.new

caleb@tcdevel ~ $ ruby testit.rb
in Mod 1
#<Mod1::B:0xb7c888dc>
in Mod 1
#<Mod2::B:0xb7c88508>

What I'm trying to accomplish is having B reference A but in the same
module
its currently in.  I can accomplish this by redefining the initialize
method
again in Mod2::B, such that it looks exactly the same as Mod1::B, but
I'm
hoping to find a trick to avoid having to do that.

Any thoughts?

Caleb
Eero S. (Guest)
on 2005-12-14 23:22
Caleb T. wrote:
> Here's a small snippet of code I'm trying to hack on:
>
> <snip due to ruby-forum.com quote limit />
>
> What I'm trying to accomplish is having B reference A but in the same
> module
> its currently in.  I can accomplish this by redefining the initialize
> method
> again in Mod2::B, such that it looks exactly the same as Mod1::B, but
> I'm
> hoping to find a trick to avoid having to do that.
>
> Any thoughts?

You could use #const_get, possibly, since a method call is dynamic.

> Caleb

itsme213 (Guest)
module M1
  class A; def foo; "foo"; end; end