Forum: Ruby on Rails [UserEngine] Configuring minimal access without logins

dave davidson (Guest)

I'm playing around with the UserEngine for limiting access to my app and
I like
what I see so far.  One question, however, I'd like to be able to set it
up so
that any user navigating to the site is automatically set as "anonymous"
or
some such access level with minimal permissions, without having to
login.

IOW, the login function should only be used by admins; normal users need
not
login to access the information inside.  How could I accomplish this
functionality?

I tried in the "roles" page to uncheck the 'login' box for the User
role,
thinking that it would remove the login page for that type of user, but
then I
was not able to log in at all with any account, even admin.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Nshbrown N. (Guest)
Hey Dave,

There is a role called Guest which will do precisely what you are after.

The bootstrap should have inserted three roles, if not try running it
again
and check your /role/ list while logged in as admin to see if it is
there.

It will not be available to users as it is intended for users with no
username.

-Nb

> The bootstrap should have inserted three roles, if not try running it again
> and check your /role/ list while logged in as admin to see if it is there.
>
> It will not be available to users as it is intended for users with no
> username.

Brilliant, worked like a charm!  Thanks much.