Forum: Ruby Puby 1.0 Release!

Hampton (Guest)
With all of the buzz around "LAMP" platforms, I feel that its time that
Ruby got on board. As many people know, LAMP stands for Linux Apache
MySQL and Perl/Python/PHP. Well, the final P representing development
languages leaves Ruby out of the game. Instead of creating LAMR, which
when spelled says LAMeR, I've decided to launch Puby!

Features

* Exactly like Ruby
* Starts with a "P"

Now, Puby can become one of the premier programming languages of LAMP:
Linux Apache MySQL Perl/Python/PHP/Puby.

Check out http://www.puby-lang.org and http://www.puby-docs.com for
more info!
James B. (Guest)
Hampton wrote:
> * Starts with a "P"
>
> Now, Puby can become one of the premier programming languages of LAMP:
> Linux Apache MySQL Perl/Python/PHP/Puby.
>
> Check out http://www.puby-lang.org and http://www.puby-docs.com for
> more info!

Is April  early, or late?

James
Justin C. (Guest)
That just sounds wrong...so very wrong....

-Justin
baalbek (Guest)
Hampton wrote:

> * Exactly like Ruby
> * Starts with a "P"
>
> Now, Puby can become one of the premier programming languages of LAMP:
> Linux Apache MySQL Perl/Python/PHP/Puby.
>
> Check out http://www.puby-lang.org and http://www.puby-docs.com for
> more info!

Sorry, but Puby gives me associations to Pubic!
Hampton (Guest)
April is *always* in style.
Sam Dela C. (Guest)
I would change "LAMP" to "LAMPaRa", which is the same meaning as LAMP in
English.

But I think "Puby" is just wrong.
Eero S. (Guest)
On 2005.12.14 09:27, "Hampton" <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> * Exactly like Ruby
> * Starts with a "P"
>
> Now, Puby can become one of the premier programming languages of LAMP:
> Linux Apache MySQL Perl/Python/PHP/Puby.
>
> Check out http://www.puby-lang.org and http://www.puby-docs.com for
> more info!

Er, could we instead just try to make FLPR[1] a more popular acronym? :)

[1] FreeBSD, lightTPD, PostgreSQL, Ruby
Jeff W. (Guest)
arxs would work for me ... ( pronounced arcs )

Apache, Ruby & x meaning uniX decendant, DBMS.match( /SQL$/ )

OSs could be Unix, Linux, os X or any other variant of BSD ....
DBMS could be PostgreSQL or MySQL ...

whatdya think?

;)

--
"Remember. Understand. Believe. Yield! -> http://ruby-lang.org"

Jeff W.
Logan C. (Guest)
On Dec 13, 2005, at 9:08 PM, Jeff W. wrote:

> ;)
>>> development
>>> LAMP:
>>

>> [1] FreeBSD, lightTPD, PostgreSQL, Ruby
>>

> --
> "Remember. Understand. Believe. Yield! -> http://ruby-lang.org"
>
> Jeff W.

Someone has previously mentioned on this list that LAMP REALLY stands
for
Linux Apache Middleware PostgreSQL

wherein Middleware is assumed to be ruby unless otherwise indicated
Jeff W. (Guest)
Logan C. wrote:

>>> Er, could we instead just try to make FLPR[1] a more popular
>>

> wherein Middleware is assumed to be ruby unless otherwise indicated

heh, there ya go ... <flamebait> I just wish we could get the linux out
of there ... I'd much prefer *any* bsd variant.</flamebait>

j.
Bill G. (Guest)
On 12/13/05, Hampton <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> Check out http://www.puby-lang.org and http://www.puby-docs.com for
> more info!

All I can say is that I'm _very_ happy that those domains aren't live.
Chad P. (Guest)
On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 11:57:33AM +0900, Jeff W. wrote:
> heh, there ya go ... <flamebait> I just wish we could get the linux out
> of there ... I'd much prefer *any* bsd variant.</flamebait>

I'm pretty much happy with any free unix.  I'm more happy with some than
others, though.  Mandrake qualifies as "other", for instance.

--
Chad P. [ CCD CopyWrite | http://ccd.apotheon.org ]

Ilmari H. (Guest)
Throw AJAX into the mix and you can call it ALARM.
Stephen K. (Guest)
In message <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>,
Hampton <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> writes
>Features
>
>* Exactly like Ruby
>* Starts with a "P"
>
>Now, Puby can become one of the premier programming languages of LAMP:
>Linux Apache MySQL Perl/Python/PHP/Puby.

:-) We you made me laugh.

Just one thing, with a name like Puby is this language a teenager?

Stephen
Jacob F. (Guest)
On 12/13/05, Jeff W. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> arxs would work for me ... ( pronounced arcs )
>

> Apache, Ruby & x meaning uniX decendant, DBMS.match( /SQL$/ )
>
> OSs could be Unix, Linux, os X or any other variant of BSD ....
> DBMS could be PostgreSQL or MySQL ...
>
> whatdya think?

Hey, be fair to SQLite!

Jacob F.
Paul D. (Guest)
* Jacob F. (removed_email_address@domain.invalid) wrote:

> Hey, be fair to SQLite!
>
> Jacob F.

Let's let Ruby decide:

----
class Array
  def map_with_index
    inject([[], 0]) { |r, a| [r[0] << (yield a, r[1]), r[1] + 1] }[0]
  end
  alias :mwi :map_with_index
end

class Acronym
  TERMS = [
    %w{Linux OpenBSD FreeBSD NetBSD},
    %w{Apache Lighttpd},
    %w{MySQL PostGreSQL SQLite Firebird},
    %w{PHP/Perl/Python Ruby LISP},
  ]

  def self.make(*args)
    t, fmt = args.dup, 'and %s'
    "%s: %s" % [args.map { |s| s[0,1] }.join, (t << fmt % t.pop;
t.join(', '))]
  end

  def self.all(args = [])
    ret = []
    if args.size == TERMS.size
      ret << make(*(args.mwi { |num, i| TERMS[i][num] }))
    else
      0.upto(TERMS[args.size].size - 1) { |i| ret << all(args << i);
args.pop }
    end
    ret

puts Acronym.all
----

Excluding non-Ruby languages gives us the following list:

  LAMR: Linux, Apache, MySQL, and Ruby
  LAPR: Linux, Apache, PostGreSQL, and Ruby
  LASR: Linux, Apache, SQLite, and Ruby
  LAFR: Linux, Apache, Firebird, and Ruby
  LLMR: Linux, Lighttpd, MySQL, and Ruby
  LLPR: Linux, Lighttpd, PostGreSQL, and Ruby
  LLSR: Linux, Lighttpd, SQLite, and Ruby
  LLFR: Linux, Lighttpd, Firebird, and Ruby
  OAMR: OpenBSD, Apache, MySQL, and Ruby
  OAPR: OpenBSD, Apache, PostGreSQL, and Ruby
  OASR: OpenBSD, Apache, SQLite, and Ruby
  OAFR: OpenBSD, Apache, Firebird, and Ruby
  OLMR: OpenBSD, Lighttpd, MySQL, and Ruby
  OLPR: OpenBSD, Lighttpd, PostGreSQL, and Ruby
  OLSR: OpenBSD, Lighttpd, SQLite, and Ruby
  OLFR: OpenBSD, Lighttpd, Firebird, and Ruby
  FAMR: FreeBSD, Apache, MySQL, and Ruby
  FAPR: FreeBSD, Apache, PostGreSQL, and Ruby
  FASR: FreeBSD, Apache, SQLite, and Ruby
  FAFR: FreeBSD, Apache, Firebird, and Ruby
  FLMR: FreeBSD, Lighttpd, MySQL, and Ruby
  FLPR: FreeBSD, Lighttpd, PostGreSQL, and Ruby
  FLSR: FreeBSD, Lighttpd, SQLite, and Ruby
  FLFR: FreeBSD, Lighttpd, Firebird, and Ruby
  NAMR: NetBSD, Apache, MySQL, and Ruby
  NAPR: NetBSD, Apache, PostGreSQL, and Ruby
  NASR: NetBSD, Apache, SQLite, and Ruby
  NAFR: NetBSD, Apache, Firebird, and Ruby
  NLMR: NetBSD, Lighttpd, MySQL, and Ruby
  NLPR: NetBSD, Lighttpd, PostGreSQL, and Ruby
  NLSR: NetBSD, Lighttpd, SQLite, and Ruby
  NLFR: NetBSD, Lighttpd, Firebird, and Ruby

Of those, my personal favorites (and, coincidentally, the most juvenile)
seem to be LAMR, LASR, LAFR, FAMR, FAPR, and FASR.
Paul B. (Guest)
> Is April  early, or late?

How about APRiL?

Apache/PostgreSQL/Ruby in Linux.

Paul.
W.B.Hill (Guest)
On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, Paul D. wrote:

> Of those, my personal favorites (and, coincidentally, the most juvenile)
> seem to be LAMR, LASR, LAFR, FAMR, FAPR, and FASR.

Let's play with permutations, 'coz you gotta have a LARF ...
;-)
Mark E. (Guest)
How about BARF  - BSD Apache Ruby Firebird ?
Paul D. (Guest)
* Mark E. (removed_email_address@domain.invalid) wrote:
[snipped]
> How about BARF  - BSD Apache Ruby Firebird ?

Now that I like! :)
Martin DeMello (Guest)
W.B.Hill <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, Paul D. wrote:
>
> > Of those, my personal favorites (and, coincidentally, the most juvenile)
> > seem to be LAMR, LASR, LAFR, FAMR, FAPR, and FASR.
>
> Let's play with permutations, 'coz you gotta have a LARF ...

There's always RODS - Ruby, OS, Database, Server

martin
Ezra Z. (Guest)
On Dec 15, 2005, at 3:22 PM, Martin DeMello wrote:

> martin

Ok only one more I swear...

What about  ROFLMAO

Ruby ON FreeBSD Lighttpd Mysql ActiveRecord ORM

;-)

-Ezra Z.
Yakima Herald-Republic
WebMaster
http://yakimaherald.com
509-577-7732
On 12/15/05, Ezra Z. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> >> Let's play with permutations, 'coz you gotta have a LARF ...
> >
> > There's always RODS - Ruby, OS, Database, Server
> >
> > martin
>
> Ok only one more I swear...
>
> What about  ROFLMAO
>
> Ruby ON FreeBSD Lighttpd Mysql ActiveRecord ORM

We have a winner! :)
Chad P. (Guest)
On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 08:22:40AM +0900, Martin DeMello wrote:
> W.B.Hill <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> > On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, Paul D. wrote:
> >
> > > Of those, my personal favorites (and, coincidentally, the most juvenile)
> > > seem to be LAMR, LASR, LAFR, FAMR, FAPR, and FASR.
> >
> > Let's play with permutations, 'coz you gotta have a LARF ...
>
> There's always RODS - Ruby, OS, Database, Server

FURoR: Free Unix + Ruby on Rails
where "Free Unix" = Linux, *BSD, MINIX, whatever

--
Chad P. [ CCD CopyWrite | http://ccd.apotheon.org ]

Hampton (Guest)
It does have a nice zing to it.

Except Puby is by far the more "mature" sounding name. Am I right or
what? I mean, that name just rolls of the tounge. You can be at a
dinner party and when you say that you are a Puby programmer, everyone
will look at you in *amazement*. It happened just this evening. In
fact, I was dining with the Archbishop of Canterbury (as I am in the
habit of doing) and I he remarked that he was looking for a new
scripting language that started with the letter "P" as LAMP is all the
rage in Paris. I volunteered that Puby would be a nice alternative. And
because of my rather remarkable remark, he bestowed upon me the title
of Master of the LAMP. What a good chap!

-hampton.