Forum: Ruby on Rails Do the same in PHP?

Jacob Friis Saxberg (Guest)
Hi.

Would it be possible to use the same principles in PHP?
Where can I learn the basics of the Model-View-Control pattern?

Thanks,
Jacob
Rabbit (Guest)
Several attempts have been made. The ones I've seen are no where near
as powerful as Rails.

But you can always try. :)

Cake - http://cakephp.org/
Biscuit - http://bennolan.com/biscuit/

- Rabbit

---
Rabbit (Guest)
Alexander Aguilar (Guest)
Symfony (for PHP5) is getting some buzz
http://www.symfony-project.com/askeet
Craig W. (Guest)
On 13 Dec 2005, at 22:51, Jacob Friis Saxberg wrote:
> Would it be possible to use the same principles in PHP?

Yes, as well as the previously mentioned frameworks you should also
check out Seagull:
http://seagull.phpkitchen.com/

> Where can I learn the basics of the Model-View-Control pattern?

General principles:
http://ootips.org/mvc-pattern.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MVC

Yours,
Craig
--
Craig W. | t: +44 (0)131 516 8595 | e: removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Xeriom.NET    | f: +44 (0)709 287 1902 | w: http://xeriom.net
> Yes, as well as the previously mentioned frameworks you should also
> check out Seagull:
> http://seagull.phpkitchen.com/

I must say that Seagull is a worthy MVC framework although I don't see
much of a Rails connection.

My .02 cents,

Adrian M.
HyperX Inc.
Mobile: 801.815.1870
Office: 801.566.0670
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
www.hyperxmedia.com

9000 S. 45 W.
Sandy, UT 84070
Craig W. (Guest)
On 14 Dec 2005, at 00:48, Adrian M. wrote:
> I must say that Seagull is a worthy MVC framework although I don't
> see much of a Rails connection.

The original post asked about MVC without stipulating that it had to
be well connected to Rails.

Yours,
Craig
--
Craig W. | t: +44 (0)131 516 8595 | e: removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Xeriom.NET    | f: +44 (0)709 287 1902 | w: http://xeriom.net
Jacob Friis Saxberg (Guest)
> > Where can I learn the basics of the Model-View-Control pattern?
>
> General principles:
> http://ootips.org/mvc-pattern.html
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MVC

Thanks, that's what I was looking for.

Jacob
Peter M. (Guest)
Are you locked into PHP? I switched to Ruby and Rails and although I am
still learning I think it is better.
Adam D. (Guest)
i agree with this. I lost of a bunch of php code (system failure with no
backup) so i decided to see if i can recoup my lost time by using rails,
and
i havent looked back.  I migrated a few hundred lines of code and 2
weeks
worth of php code in about half a day in rails.  Very well worth it and
not
looking back.  I am very new to ruby too, and the agile book, this list
and
the wiki really make things easy.

adam
Jacob Friis Saxberg (Guest)
> Are you locked into PHP? I switched to Ruby and Rails and although I am
> still learning I think it is better.

Not at all.
I have systems running that use PHP, and I don't have as much study
time as I used to have, so I'll stick with it.

Jacob
Greg D. (Guest)
On 12/14/05, Peter M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Are you locked into PHP? I switched to Ruby and Rails and although I am
> still learning I think it is better.

Switched?  As in you will never code another line of PHP ever?

I consider my new Ruby and Rails skills an addition to the tool belt,
not a replacement.

--
Greg D.
Zend Certified Engineer
> On 12/14/05, Peter M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> > Are you locked into PHP? I switched to Ruby and Rails and although I am
> > still learning I think it is better.
>
> Switched?  As in you will never code another line of PHP ever?

I can't speak for Peter, but in my case I'd say -- In a green-field
project where the decision of programming language to use is mine, I
would definitely choose Ruby over PHP. As for _never_ coding PHP
again, well, I probably won't have that luxury. :-)

> I consider my new Ruby and Rails skills an addition to the tool belt,
> not a replacement.

Of course. If all you have is a hammer...  Most customers won't be too
thrilled if you tell them that you'll need to rewrite their entire PHP
application in Ruby if you are going to need to make one small feature
change. (However, if any of you really feel that you don't _ever_ want
to do PHP again, feel free to send paying customers my way. ;-) )

--
Regards,
John W.

Alice came to a fork in the road. "Which road do I take?" she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
- Lewis Carrol, Alice in Wonderland