Forum: Ruby System Tray Icon

List R. (Guest)
Any one know of a simple way to load an icon to the system tray via
Ruby?

Ideally, I'd like cross platform, but would settle for Windows only.

My goal is to make a simple utility that runs in the background, runs
the unit tests, and goes red or green.  These are a dime a dozen for
things like JUnit, but haven't found one for Ruby.
Wilson B. (Guest)
> Any one know of a simple way to load an icon to the system tray via
> Ruby?
>
> Ideally, I'd like cross platform, but would settle for Windows only.
>
> My goal is to make a simple utility that runs in the background, runs
> the unit tests, and goes red or green.  These are a dime a dozen for
> things like JUnit, but haven't found one for Ruby.

I don't believe that there's any cross-platform way to do this.
Here's how in Windows, though:
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/ruby...

The API call at play here is this:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=...

You basically use String.pack to build the "NOTIFYICONDATA" data
structure that the Win32 call expects.

--Wilson.
daz (Guest)
listrecv wrote:
> Any one know of a simple way to load an icon to the system tray via
> Ruby?
>
> Ideally, I'd like cross platform, but would settle for Windows only.
>
> My goal is to make a simple utility that runs in the background, runs
> the unit tests, and goes red or green.  These are a dime a dozen for
> things like JUnit, but haven't found one for Ruby.

Here's a thread from two weeks back with "system tray" in the subject
line:

http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/vframe.rb/rub...

daz