From: David R. [mailto:removed_email_address@domain.invalid]
Sent: Monday, December 12, 2005 10:04 AM
To: removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Subject: [Rails] Problem using rmagick in model class

I'm refactoring some code in order to conform to "the right way" of
doing things. That is, I'm moving my image-saving code from my
controller to my model. What worked fine in the controller class is not
working in the model class.

Currently, my code looks somewhat like this:
##############
class RegistrantsController < ApplicationController
  def upload_image
    @registrant = Registrant.find(session[:registrant_id])
    if request.post?
      if(params[:crop_params])
        @registrant.save_image(params[:image_to_crop],
params[:crop_params])
        redirect_to :action => :index
      else
        @registrant.image = params[:registrant][:image]
        File.chmod(0644, @registrant.image)

class Registrant < ActiveRecord::Base
  require_gem 'rmagick'

  def save_image(image_to_crop, crop_params)

    img_base = RAILS_ROOT + "/public/images/registrants/"
    img_file =  self.id.to_s + ".jpg"
    y, x, w, h = crop_params.split(',')

    img = Magick::ImageList.new(image_to_crop) # this is throwing
"uninitialized constant ImageList"

    img.crop!(x.to_i, y.to_i, w.to_i, h.to_i)
    img.resize!(120, 120)
    color_thumb = img.resize(32, 32)
    grey_img = img.quantize(256, Magick::GRAYColorspace)
    img.write(img_path + img_filename)
    grey_img.write(img_base + 'greyscale/' + img_filename)
    color_thumb.write(img_base + 'thumbnail/' + img_filename)
##############

Note the comment in there (# this is throwing "uninitialized constant
ImageList")

Can anyone see what I've done wrong, or otherwise help out?

Thanks,
David R.
David R. (Guest)
Doh.

So, it might be helpful if I understood why my previous code, where all
of
this was in the controller, worked fine, even when the require_gem
statement
was called within a class method. The controller method looked like
this:

def upload_image(*some_args)
  require_gem 'rmagick'
  #do stuff with Magick::ImageList
end

On 12/12/05, Tom F. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

>     if request.post?
> end
>     img = Magick::ImageList.new(image_to_crop) # this is throwing
> end

David R.
Webmaster, SXSW Conferences and Festivals
SXSW 2005 - March 11-20, 2005 - Austin, Texas
http://sxsw.com/