Forum: Ruby How To Turn Off Net::HTTP w/SSL Certificate Warnings?

Keith F. (Guest)

I've got a little Ruby script that needs to use SSL but doesn't really
worry about authentication at all. Here's the relevant code:

      https = Net::HTTP.new(URL, 443)
      https.use_ssl = true
      data = ""
      https.start{|h|
        h.get2(url) {|resp|
          data = resp.body
        }
      }

When I run this, it works great but gives me (on STDERR):
   peer certificate won't be verified in this SSL session

I don't really care about the verification, so how should I turn this
warning off or otherwise prevent it from printing?

Thanks,
Keith
ts (Guest)

 Try

K>       https = Net::HTTP.new(URL, 443)
K>       https.use_ssl = true

         https.verify_mode = OpenSSL::SSL::VERIFY_NONE

K>       data = ""
K>       https.start{|h|
K>         h.get2(url) {|resp|
K>           data = resp.body
K>         }
K>       }

Guy Decoux
Keith F. (Guest)
On Monday 12 December 2005 11:02 am, ts wrote:
>          https.verify_mode = OpenSSL::SSL::VERIFY_NONE

Works great--can't believe that I didn't find it myself. That said, it
does provide a useful lesson for me: http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/
doesn't mention private methods. So, for anyone in the future, look in
the private 'connect' method in net/http.rb in your local ruby library
for an explanation.

Thanks,
Keith
ts (Guest)

K> Works great--can't believe that I didn't find it myself. That said,
it
K> does provide a useful lesson for me: http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/
K> doesn't mention private methods.

 It's just that the file https.rb is apparently not in www.ruby-doc.org

== class Net::HTTP

=== Instance Methods

[...]

: verify_mode, verify_mode=((|mode|))
    Sets the flags for server the certification verification at
    begining of SSL/TLS session.
    OpenSSL::SSL::VERIFY_NONE or OpenSSL::SSL::VERIFY_PEER is
acceptable.

Guy Decoux