Forum: Ruby on Rails Rails command not working

Icos A. (Guest)
on 2005-11-17 22:05
I am a complete newb to Rails.  I got it installed and it seemed to
work, as I went through the Curt Hibb tutorials, and even got something
working a bit on my own.  I bought the Rails book and now the rails
command has stopped initializing projects for me.  I don't even begin to
understand how this thing is configured since I'm a Ruby as well as
Rails initiate.  Short of reinstalling it all over again, any advice on
where I should look?

I've made sure that MySQL is running, and this is what I get when I run
it for the depot command.
[c:\dev\ruby\rails]rails depot
      exists
      exists  app/controllers
      exists  app/helpers
      exists  app/models
      exists  app/views/layouts
      exists  config/environments
      exists  components
      exists  db
      exists  doc
      exists  lib
      exists  lib/tasks
      exists  log
      exists  public/images
      exists  public/javascripts
      exists  public/stylesheets
      exists  script/performance
      exists  script/process
      exists  test/fixtures
      exists  test/functional
      exists  test/mocks/development
      exists  test/mocks/test
      exists  test/unit
      exists  vendor
      exists  vendor/plugins
   identical  Rakefile
   identical  README
   identical  app/controllers/application.rb
   identical  app/helpers/application_helper.rb
   identical  test/test_helper.rb
   identical  config/database.yml
   identical  config/routes.rb
   identical  public/.htaccess
   identical  config/boot.rb
   identical  config/environment.rb
   identical  config/environments/production.rb
   identical  config/environments/development.rb
   identical  config/environments/test.rb
overwrite script/about? [Ynaq]
       force  script/about
overwrite script/breakpointer? [Ynaq]
       force  script/breakpointer
overwrite script/console? [Ynaq]
       force  script/console
overwrite script/destroy? [Ynaq]
       force  script/destroy
overwrite script/generate? [Ynaq]
       force  script/generate
overwrite script/performance/benchmarker? [Ynaq]
       force  script/performance/benchmarker
overwrite script/performance/profiler? [Ynaq]
       force  script/performance/profiler
overwrite script/process/reaper? [Ynaq]
       force  script/process/reaper
overwrite script/process/spawner? [Ynaq]
       force  script/process/spawner
overwrite script/process/spinner? [Ynaq]
       force  script/process/spinner
overwrite script/runner? [Ynaq]
       force  script/runner
overwrite script/server? [Ynaq]
       force  script/server
overwrite script/plugin? [Ynaq]
       force  script/plugin
overwrite public/dispatch.rb? [Ynaq]
       force  public/dispatch.rb
overwrite public/dispatch.cgi? [Ynaq]
       force  public/dispatch.cgi
overwrite public/dispatch.fcgi? [Ynaq]
       force  public/dispatch.fcgi
   identical  public/404.html
   identical  public/500.html
   identical  public/index.html
   identical  public/favicon.ico
   identical  public/robots.txt
   identical  public/javascripts/prototype.js
   identical  public/javascripts/effects.js
   identical  public/javascripts/dragdrop.js
   identical  public/javascripts/controls.js
   identical  doc/README_FOR_APP
overwrite log/server.log? [Ynaq]
       force  log/server.log
overwrite log/production.log? [Ynaq]
       force  log/production.log
overwrite log/development.log? [Ynaq]
       force  log/development.log
overwrite log/test.log? [Ynaq]
       force  log/test.log

No depot directory is created though, so I don't know what it is asking
me to overwrite.  Weird.  These are the versions of the gems I have
installed.  I also have Ruby 1.8.2-15 installed.  MySQL is 5.0.  This is
all running on XP SP2.

[c:\dev\ruby\rails]gem list --local

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

actionmailer (1.1.3)
    Service layer for easy email delivery and testing.

actionpack (1.11.0)
    Web-flow and rendering framework putting the VC in MVC.

actionwebservice (0.9.3)
    Web service support for Action Pack.

activerecord (1.13.0)
    Implements the ActiveRecord pattern for ORM.

activesupport (1.2.3)
    Support and utility classes used by the Rails framework.

fxri (0.3.2)
    Graphical interface to the RI documentation, with search engine.

fxruby (1.4.3, 1.2.6)
    FXRuby is the Ruby binding to the FOX GUI toolkit.

rails (0.14.3)
    Web-application framework with template engine, control-flow layer,
    and ORM.

rake (0.6.2)
    Ruby based make-like utility.

sources (0.0.1)
    This package provides download sources for remote gem installation

Any advice appreciated.
virgild (Guest)
Are you sure there's nothing created in [c:\dev\ruby\rails]? Check again
where you ran the rails.

Also, a running MySQL service is not required by the rails command. It
just
creates the necessary files and directory structure for the rails app.

"Jay K." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote in
message news:removed_email_address@domain.invalid...
Icos A. (Guest)
on 2005-11-17 22:50
virgild wrote:
> Are you sure there's nothing created in [c:\dev\ruby\rails]? Check again
> where you ran the rails.

I have, several times.  Unless it's hidden (which I've run attrib -h on
everything) or for some reason it's getting deleted (which no error
shows up).

> Also, a running MySQL service is not required by the rails command. It
> just
> creates the necessary files and directory structure for the rails app.

I didn't think so, but just to make sure.

Thanks for responding.