Forum: Ruby on Rails NoMethodError

sharon (Guest)

IÂ?ve just downloaded and installed Ruby on Rails, on a windows xp
machine.
Then I tried the cookbook tutorial, and get NoMethodError in Recipe#New
when
I try http://localhost:3000/recipe/new/. I could not figure out the
problem
so I tried another tutorial, the todo list one, and the same thing
happens(NoMethodError in todo#list  when I try
http://localhost:300/todo/ .
Both of these occur right after the step where I add scaffold :todo, or
scaffold Â?:recipe in the controller. So, I figure my scaffold isnÂ?t
getting
built. Is this what it means? What can I do about it. I want to get into
Ruby on Rails, but am stuck for now on the threshold.

TIA,
duane.johnson (Guest)
On Dec 8, 2005, at 9:41 PM, Sharon Phelps wrote:

> after the step where I add scaffold :todo, or scaffold â??:recipe in
> the controller. So, I figure my scaffold isnâ??t getting built. Is
> this what it means? What can I do about it. I want to get into Ruby
> on Rails, but am stuck for now on the threshold.
Hi Sharon,

If you want to rule out the scaffolding as the problem, try making a
simple method like this (no view code or file necessary):

class RecipeController < Application
   def test
     render :text => "Testing... testing..."

Also, check the logs and you'll probably find more information
there.  I usually use the 'tail' command on unix systems to
continuously show me the log file while I develop.  If there's no
equivalent on XP, just open /log/development.log and see what you get
in there.

Duane J.
(canadaduane)
Pat M. (Guest)
On 4/10/07, Zak K. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> Extracted source (around line #1): 1: <h2><%= @story.name %></h2>
> 2: <p><%= link_to @story.link, @story.link %></p>

That means that your @story variable is nil.  Did you set it in your
controller?  Something like:

@story = Story.find params[:id]

Pat
Hassan S. (Guest)
On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 12:06 AM, dwhitekiss
wrote:
> Is this correct

It "correctly" shows your migration failing. You need to fix that. :-)

> ==  Books: migrating
> -- create_table(:books)
> rake aborted!
> An error has occurred, all later migrations canceled:
>
> Mysql::Error: Table 'books' already exists:

twitter: @hassan

Marnen L. (Guest)
on 2009-12-26 19:01
sharon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I�?ve just downloaded and installed Ruby on Rails, on a windows xp
> machine.
> Then I tried the cookbook tutorial, and get NoMethodError in Recipe#New
> when
> I try http://localhost:3000/recipe/new/. I could not figure out the
> problem
> so I tried another tutorial, the todo list one, and the same thing
> happens(NoMethodError in todo#list  when I try
> http://localhost:300/todo/ .
> Both of these occur right after the step where I add scaffold :todo, or
> scaffold �?:recipe in the controller.

Rails 2.x no longer has scaffold as a controller method.   You are
following an old tutorial.  If you're using Rails 2.3 (and I hope you
are), try the tutorials at http://guides.rails.info .

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser