Forum: Ruby on Rails Generate a couple hundred rows of dummy data - how?

Sean S. (Guest)
on 2005-12-08 16:35
Simple task -- I've done some custom pagination and I need to fill up a
table with a bunch of rows so I can play around with the back and next
buttons.  Is there an easy way from the command line perhaps to just
fire off a couple hundred copies of an existing table row?  Thanks!
joevandyk (Guest)
On 12/8/05, Sean S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Simple task -- I've done some custom pagination and I need to fill up a
> table with a bunch of rows so I can play around with the back and next
> buttons.  Is there an easy way from the command line perhaps to just
> fire off a couple hundred copies of an existing table row?  Thanks!

Fire up script/console

1000.times do
  Article.create :body => 'Article body text', whatever else here
end

Should create a thousand articles for you.
codyfauser (Guest)
Sean,

I'd use script/console.  Example:

i = Item.find(:first)
30.times { i.clone.save }

Cody

On 12/8/05, Sean S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

http://www.codyfauser.com
rails (Guest)
If it's in a test framework, you can do something like this:

200.times do
   MyModel.new({...}).save
end
Sean S. (Guest)
on 2005-12-08 17:16
Thanks so much guys.  Cody's tip was exactly what I was looking for.
Three helpful responses within 20 minutes of my post!  Oh I do love the
Rails community.  Cheers :-)