Forum: Ruby Suggestion to the Pragmatic Programmers

xrfang (Guest)
Hi Andy and Dave,

I recently purchased the PickAxe 2 PDF edition. I intended to use it to
replace the bundled help...

Although the book is very well written, even better than the first
edition,
I still feel regreted that it is not in CHM... I use this book very
frequently when working, so I have a suggestion for you guys that is to
provide CHM edition for the next edition. I think PDF is not necessary,
at
least for me, because it is not easy to use as a reference, and it also
does
not give you the feeling of a real book.

PickAxe is a very good learning book, but it is much better used as a
reference book. I love this book and it introduced the fantastic ruby
world
to me.

Thanks,
Shannon
James G. (Guest)
On Dec 8, 2005, at 6:45 AM, Shannon F. wrote:

> use as a reference, and it also does not give you the feeling of a
> real book.
>
> PickAxe is a very good learning book, but it is much better used as
> a reference book. I love this book and it introduced the fantastic
> ruby world to me.

You mailed this to a Ruby mailing list, but I think you wanted:

removed_email_address@domain.invalid

James Edward G. II
fugalh (Guest)
While I don't have pickaxe2, I do have the rails book and I find the
PDF very easy to use as a reference in Apple's Preview app (their PDF
viewer), thanks to the drawer and search box. CHM - is that the windows
help format? If it were to be in some plain-text hypertext format I
would say a better bet would be HTML.

I haven't really used Acrobat in several versions (since 4 I think);
does it not have the table of contents and text searching?
danieljohnlewis (Guest)
On 08/12/05, Hans  Fugal <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> While I don't have pickaxe2, I do have the rails book and I find the
> PDF very easy to use as a reference in Apple's Preview app (their PDF
> viewer), thanks to the drawer and search box. CHM - is that the windows
> help format? If it were to be in some plain-text hypertext format I
> would say a better bet would be HTML.
>
> I haven't really used Acrobat in several versions (since 4 I think);
> does it not have the table of contents and text searching?

Acrobat Reader (or Adobe Reader as its now called) does indeed have
search functionality. Plus the index of the book has links to the
pages. So why would CHM be any better?
An even nicer way of doing a help system for the book, would be to
make a querying service using ontologies in RDF/OWL.... but thats not
going to happen :)

The book is great, and its really good in pdf version.

Daniel.
cyberco (Guest)
Totally agree. I also bought PickAxe II recently and even mailed the
authors asking whether I could obtain an HTML version as well. For the
same reasons you mention. The answer was unfortunately 'no'.