Ahoi all. In the process of writing a gem I came across this failing test. https://travis-ci.org/#!/rurounijones/yarder/jobs/2619214 The test in question comes from the ActiveSupport logger tests of the main rails suite but has been copied into my repository. The test code is here: https://github.com/rurounijones/yarder/blob/master... On MRI 1.93 and jruby 1.7.0.RC1 this passes. However on 22.214.171.124 it fails due to line 117 expecting a UTF-8 encoded string but actually getting an ACII-8BIT one. The fact that it works on JRuby 1.7.0 leads me to believe that this is a known issue and has been fixed. I also assume that 1.6.7 will not receive this fix or it would have already (I cannot believe I am the first to find this). If I am incorrect and there is a different reason / solution to this problem I would be grateful if someone could point it out. cheers Jeff
on 2012-10-03 03:21
on 2012-10-03 03:26
We (not me personally, but Tom Enebo and others) did a lot of work on Encoding for the 1.7 branch. So this particular problem may very well be fixed. We also released 1.6.8 a while back, and that may contain the fix you need. If you need the 1.6.x release, give that a shot.
on 2012-10-03 04:08
Hello Hirotsugu-san Heh, I managed to totally forget that there was a 1.6.8 release. I just tested it on that locally and it also failed with the same problem. I am not wrenching my heart out about this because it would probably only affect people trying to log non-ascii data on JRuby 1.6.x, I have no qualms about saying "MRI 1.9.3 & JRuby 1.7 (1.6.X if you only log ascii)" I was just wanting to make sure that it wasn't a moment of idiocy on my part. Cheers Jeff