Re: What's your opinion? ArachnoRuby, Komodo, Eclipse/RDT, R

-----Original Message-----
From: Curt H. [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 2:13 PM
To: ruby-talk ML
Subject: What’s your opinion? ArachnoRuby, Komodo,
Eclipse/RDT, RadRails, etc.

I’m mostly interested in cross-platform IDEs that are
available on Windows, Linux and OSX. Of the IDEs that you
have actually used. What are your favorite features of each
one (especially those you find essential), and what things or
omissions do you find annoying?

Komodo Pros: Very nice UI, with intellisense, code folding, good (if
slow) debugger.
Komodo Cons: This isn’t Ruby specific, but I don’t like the way it does
project management, i.e. virtual files instead of actual files. I want
to add a file to the project on the fly, dammit, not create it somewhere
else and then import it. Also, I can’t use it on Solaris.

RDT Pros: Plugin for a larger IDE framework (Eclipse) which is handy if
you’re dealing with several different languages and/or frameworks (i.e.
easy to switch back and forth between different perspectives), and it
works on all platforms that support Java. Comes with all the advantages
of Eclipse, i.e. CVS integration, project management, etc. Has a nice
test runner built in as well as code folding. More features being
added. Oh, and it’s free.

RDT Cons: I don’t know that the debugger works on all platforms, and it
was kind of flaky the last time I tried it.

ArachnoRuby: Haven’t tried it (or maybe I downloaded a beta a while ago
but I’ve since forgotten). Doesn’t appear to work on Solaris, though.

Regards,

Dan

Big plus for Arachno… I LOVE it’s multithreading debugger … it’s
nice to
be able to set breakpoints and continue/step individual threads…

Haven’t tried that on the other GUIs yet ( but I do own and have them
all
installed ).

j.

On 12/7/05, Berger, Daniel [email protected] wrote:

available on Windows, Linux and OSX. Of the IDEs that you

ArachnoRuby: Haven’t tried it (or maybe I downloaded a beta a while ago
but I’ve since forgotten). Doesn’t appear to work on Solaris, though.

Regards,

Dan

“Remember. Understand. Believe. Yield! → http://ruby-lang.org

Jeff W.

This reminds me of one more thing… Let me know what platform you are
running on. In general, I assume that most features will work the same
on
all platforms. However, there may be exceptions – the the debugger.

Since I’m a Windows user, I might need help checking out a feature or
two on
the other platforms to confirm that they work as expected, so it’d be
nice
to know who to ask.

Thanks,
Curt

All meaning Eclipse/RDT , KOMODO, & Arachno … ( plus I use xemacs on
linux
).

j.

On 12/7/05, Jeff W. [email protected] wrote:

have actually used. What are your favorite features of each

“Remember. Understand. Believe. Yield! → http://ruby-lang.org

Jeff W.

“Remember. Understand. Believe. Yield! → http://ruby-lang.org

Jeff W.

the other platforms … meaning ? *nix, bsd, etc ? or xp/nt/2k ( i know
not
really platforms )…

j.

On 12/7/05, Curt H. [email protected] wrote:

Thanks,

On 12/7/05, Jeff W. [email protected] wrote:

I’m mostly interested in cross-platform IDEs that are

.
it